Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repurposing non-quilting items >

Repurposing non-quilting items

Repurposing non-quilting items

Old 07-25-2019, 02:05 AM

My favorite item is the tool workbench from my father-in-law's garage when he could no longer use it. I cleaned it up really well and turned the top into a big board ironing board using plywood, batting and colorful fabric. It has 5 drawers for notions and things and door opening to shelves for bigger things. I love it.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:43 AM

I use the big binder clips from the office supply store. I have them clipped to edge of a shelf sitting on my sewing desk. That is where my rotary cutters, handmade stilettos and scissors hang. I have a tin that the chocolate wafer sticks come in on my ironing station. It has a small binder clip on top to hold a small pair of scissors and the lid holds a small tape measure. I use the tin as a small trash can for thread pieces and trim off tips from hst squares before ironing.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

I use the command hooks to hang small rullers, etc. I paper punched a hole in an empty cocoa plastic container and hung it on a hook near my machine...makes a great small trash can, does not collapse and easy to empty when full. I also use binder clips to hang small quilt blocks from the hooks when working on a quilt.

Empty Rx containers are great for holding bobbins, empty or full, as well as needles and other small items.

A bamboo skewer is a great point turner, but can also be used in a hanging sleeve for a narrow wall hanging.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:53 AM

Round wooden toothpicks for turning under edges for applique
Chop stick or orange stick (manicure) for poking out corners and pushing pieces through machine
Old 07-25-2019, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

The four 4 and 6 foot straight edge from Lowe's. It's exactly 2 1/2 wide. It's perfect for marking straight lines on a quilt top. The 4 ft is $8 and the 6 ft is $12. I use them for getting borders straight and for squaring up the quilt edges.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:17 AM

I use pill bottles for holding old needles and blades. (didn't see that anyone mentioned this yet)
Old 07-25-2019, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante View Post
I use pill bottles for holding old needles and blades. (didn't see that anyone mentioned this yet)
Oh yes, I do that too. Only one though as I think it will take me forever to fill it!
Old 07-25-2019, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I bought a shoe rack that I hang on the door of my sewing room that holds a ton! And each one is clear so I can see everything. What a great investment!
Old 07-25-2019, 04:51 AM

I also have those items in my quilting room. I also got a 6ft metal ruler that I clamp on either side of my cutting table to hold down the batting which I have hanging above the table. The shower rod, clamps, ruler....all from my workshop. Then I keep an "L" metal ruler that I can slip inside a slot on my deadbar on the quilt frame so I can make sure I'm keeping my quilt straight along the sides as well as my blocks as I advance my quilt. Then I have 2 laser lights that I'll set one on either end of my frame when I get down to the end of my quilt to see if its still straight across. I turn off my lights to see this. I use my Logitech camera from my PC, attach it to my laptop and the side of my quilt machine so I can see the underside stitches. Keeps me from having to stand on my head to see them. Think that's about it for me.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:01 AM

Antique wooden crochet hooks in varying sizes for turning points and curves. To make a label I embroidery it then put a piece of light weight dissolvable stabilizer on top. Mark the stitching line. To round the corners I use a metal sewing template with 4 different size curves that was originally for creating curves on pockets. Sew. Slice the stabilizer and turn label use crochet hooks to turn. Press edge of label with medium temp dry iron (any steam or moisture will melt stabilizer). Hand stitch to quilt.