Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making own quilting patterns >

Making own quilting patterns

Making own quilting patterns

Old 07-26-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Making own quilting patterns

I wanted to make my own quilting motifs or patterns (not sure what they're called) by cutting out the designs on plastic. I tried using an Xacto knife, but I found I need to cut out a wider line in order to get my marking pencil in there. It was too difficult. I looked online for something to use instead & found an Excel adjustable dual flex cutter. But it's somewhat expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks!! [h=1][/h]
Old 07-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

It's nice to see that there is a dual blade knife available. Several years back, there was a non-adjustable dual blade knife available but they stopped selling them I haven't seen another since then until now. Will be interested to see if there are others out there.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:47 PM

Do you mean a stencil? I briefly contemplated what you are attempting to do, then decided that it would be way too much work. What I have done inexpensively is used tulle and an embroidery hoop. Trace your design on the tulle in permanent marker. Put it in the embroidery hoop so it has structure and is not just a loose piece fabric. Then lay that on your quilt top and mark through the tulle. I used my blue wash out marker. It's not a perfect method, but works adequately. I have focused on buying actual stencils when I can get them on sale and such. I do love my stencils :-)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:53 PM

I did just what you want to do by making a stencil out of special plastic that you melt with a hot pen something like a soldering iron. It takes some practice but works pretty well. I got both from Joann; the brand is FolkArt.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:17 PM

I also have one of the soldering iron things, bought it with a 50% off coupon, think I spent about $12. It works well. You do need to make the lines thick enough, it was also enough that I could use a Pounce pad with it.

Usually I end up making a design on parchment paper I get from the dollar store ($1 for a 1x25' roll) and sewing through it. There are some downsides to this technique, but with my vision issues it is currently the best answer I have for when I want something more complicated. We had a thread recently discussing it, I'll do a bit of a look for it.

Edit: Here's that thread
Custom Quilting on Domestic Machine

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-26-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:19 PM

You can make the stencil on tracing paper and pin to the quilt. Only problem each stencil can only be used once. To compensate I put multiple sheets of tracing paper together and staple. Then with no thread in the needle sew through all the layers and have multiple stencils on tracing paper.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:25 PM

I took a course in making stencils ....2004 my notes say, wow! Anyway I do have an Olfa double bladed knife from that course but only made one or two stencils. You do have to make sure you leave little bridges of the plastic in your design, maybe examine a store bought one to get the idea.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:53 PM

I have a stencil that was cut from freezer paper using a single blade craft knife. The quilter who gave it to me said it was easy to cut the slots after a bit of practice. I know of one quilter, teacher, who uses the grooved craft cutter to make stencils. There is also a flexible blue plastic that is easier to cut stencils using the craft knives.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:35 AM

I have some old paper stencils from a company called "Quick Quilt" They were made back in the 60's early 70's. They too were 1x usage but for larger sections of a quilt. Very nice designs. I don't even know if this company is still in business. I haven't seen them on the market for years. I have saved a couple packages for the 'most special' quilt I want to make someday. Very nice motifs.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:19 PM

Yes, I meant stencil. (Could Not remember the name!!) Thanks for the advice from everyone & will check out the old thread on this subject. I may try the various ways & see which one works best for me.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-28-2019 at 04:30 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps