Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking quilting class from instructors that have never won a quilting award. >

Taking quilting class from instructors that have never won a quilting award.

Taking quilting class from instructors that have never won a quilting award.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
I prefer non award. Although I loved Sharon Shamber for one of our guild classes. She is the best.
Otherwise, other "famous" quilters are always in the mode of "can't get out of here fast enough". Reminding everyone....start putting things away....you only have 20 minutes left. I paid for those last 20 minutes.....I always feel cheated somewhat when they do that.

I take a lot of quilt classes. At least six a year and days of them at workshops. There are many that are in it for the money and I can tell the difference when one loves to teach and one that is just there for a head count.

I know which of the still on the quilt circuit instructors I will not take another class/workshop. I always take a class from a new instructor if the opportunity comes up.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:24 AM

Something else I just thought of. Because you are an great quilter and can make beautiful quilts doesn't mean that you are a good teacher. I'd rather have a great teacher who can get her ideas across to me than someone who makes a beautiful quilt, but has trouble getting her ideas across. I learn more from the great teachers.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:34 AM

I agree with what the others have said about it is the teaching that is more important than the awards.

I don't take classes because I can't afford them, but I do go to free seminars and my old guild had a lot of known people come to talk/give workshops. You don't always get what you pay for. I know that there is a particular LA instructor here in the Seattle area that I would love to work with, but there is a very well known quilt designer that people love but I would never take a class from, because every single thing is so obviously "her" and I want "me" quilts.

Yes, some people are teaching their techniques using their tools and that is what you are paying for. Other people are teaching different things.

I've never won any national awards, I've never entered any of my quilts in anything but non-judged guild shows. But I can teach you how to put on a binding correctly for the awards circuit and have many other things to share. I have taught classes and I was able to fill in as a last minute judge for a county fair when their recognized expert had an emergency.

For both cooking and quilting, I believe that you don't need books or classes or patterns, you need to know what you want at the end and how can you do with your materials. I can teach you how to take what you have and to put your own spin on it, to discuss colors and values and movement and technical skills. Many of my quilts are deceptively simple and are made scrappy style. There are jokes and messages and meanings and it isn't until I point out things that you realize they are in there.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:15 AM

I agree, teaching is an art of itself. I admire a good teacher. In my past life, I wanted to be a good teacher. This is a learning process; it takes a huge amount of work. I’m a true introvert; it would take seeing something awesome to push me enough to want to take any class. I’ve seen truly exceptional quilts at juried shows. I respect those who enter these shows because I wouldn’t see these quilts otherwise. They inspire my creativity. Not everything can be visualized thru IG, magazines (e.g. collage quilts). Whether artists win ribbons doesn’t matter to me, but those wanting to teach, to share their techniques, creativity .. this makes me thankful.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:34 AM

A friend and I have taken classes from a couple very well known quilter/designers and we both agreed it was a miserable experience. I have also taken classes from nationally known quilters and had a wonderful experience and learned a lot. I have also taken classes from local quilters and had both good and not so good experiences. I believe the not so good experiences were because the personalities of were quite strong to the point of being abrasive and I think that it quashed the creativity of the students. I was not the only person in the class that was miserable. We have very few quit shops in the area so classes are hard to come by. I don't think we should limit ourselves by taking classes only from the "rock stars" in the quilting world because we miss our on learning something new (and possibly making new friends) in a smaller, more intimate class that is local.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:40 AM

Wow! I've enjoyed reading every person's comments and so many of you are spot on in what you say. I think only taking classes from quilters that have won big prizes in major quilt shows is a mistake and a bit snobbish. Prize winning quilters are unique. Not every one can do that. Prize winning teachers are unique, too. It takes a special talent to put a class together, meet the needs of the students and give a superb performance.

I'm happy when I win a prize at a quilt show. I've won a few but not at the major shows although I've entered and been accepted. But, I'm a great teacher. People tell me this all the time. Many say I'm the best teacher they've ever had. I'm honored that my students feel this way. My job when teaching is to help every student learn and get better at their quilting. I'm not selling a pattern (although I've designed a few). I'm not selling me. I'm retired. I teach because I love it and I like helping people improve in what they do. I'm not perfect. I always want to learn more as well so I'll take a class from time to time and I don't ask if they won any prize anywhere.

I've taken classes from some of the 'big names', too. Some have been great. Some haven't been worth the money. Every one of those classes had too many people in it for the teacher to meet the needs of the students in my opinion.

So there you are. I think teaching is a special gift. You need to find a person that has that gift. I hope I don't get my hands slapped for my opinions 'cause that's all they are, my opinions.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-30-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-30-2019, 10:05 AM

I watched Sharon Shamber's binding video, and it was very good, but she missed doing one thing that I had heard needs to be done, and that is alternating the folds of the miters at the corners.
When you come to the corner, the bottom needs to be folded up and secured somehow, then the side binding gets folded over that. Then the bulk of the two miters is not one on top of the other.
I always love to watch videos about binding. I usually learn something new.

Last edited by maviskw; 07-30-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:10 AM

I have to say that in the scheme of things I teach a lot of classes but have never won a prize at a quilt show, mostly because my entries are in the non-judged section. Have been quilting for many years and have lots of knowledge that I am willing to pass on to others and no amount of prizes will make my love of quilting and sharing any less or greater than some one with ribbons. That being said, yes I do take classes from lots of people and have found that a class from a big name doesn't mean it's going to be a great learning experience. Paid big bucks for a class on paper piecing and sadly got very little out of it. So in everything quilting there will be some good and some not so good in your path of learning. Peace, Brenda
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by sewvicki View Post
A master quilter does not necessarily make a master instructor.
So absolutely true! Just because someone can create beautiful, perhaps award winning quilts doesn't mean they can teach any kind quilting classes.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by sewvicki View Post
A master quilter does not necessarily make a master instructor.
What Vicki said!!