Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Quilts You Will Never Make Again. LOL >

The Quilts You Will Never Make Again. LOL

The Quilts You Will Never Make Again. LOL

Old 08-01-2019, 06:51 AM

I don't think I'll ever make another twister quilt. It's like making 2 quilts.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:02 AM

I have made a traditional DWR and enjoyed it very much and would like to make a scrappy one but that is way down the road. All of the other ones mentioned I will not try.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:05 AM

I don't like twister either. Too much like work with each fabric spilling over into the next block. Years ago I saw a whole room full of Baltimore Album quilts. It was in Lancaster, PA. Each beautiful but honestly I felt like gagging! Like having eaten way too much frosting! Just way to fussy for my taste.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Like having eaten way too much frosting!
That's the way I feel about 30's fabric. Too sweet. A little goes a long way.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:05 AM

Aw, is Storm at Sea really that much of a bear? I *really* hope to do one some day.

I also hate to say "I'll never" but there are so many that I haven't even tried yet! Considering how much effort it takes me to get any one quilt done, I'll definitely concentrate on getting out the ones I truly love/am psyched about started.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:09 AM

Hanging Gardens. Worst directions!
Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 AM

I had to chuckle! I have never done a Judy Niemeyer or Bargello quilt. Bargello is on the list of things to do and I have 2 books here to help me out. I have to try it at least once. Now for the others DWR Cathedral Windows and Lone Star. I have made each of these at least 2x's. I have made 6 king size DWR's. 3 Cathedral Windows and am working on one right now. I am also working on another GMF (my second one) and would love to make another lone star. My first Lone star was made with pastels and is very different looking. I also made one that had a group of 4 lone Stars in a king size quilt. I would love to make one for my bed and just for me.
quilt patterns that I will not do as full sized quilts have to do with anything dimensional. The quilt from H... is a 3d bow tie and one of the biggest UFO's that will most likely never be completed is also a dimensional quilt. I thought they were so interesting and the blocks were fun to make but to quilt them is another thing. Other than that I am open almost everything.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:23 AM

When I think about it I don't think I would make another king/ queen/ full/ twin/ wall hanging/anything pineapple quilt again. I found the waste was as much as the quilt itself. I made a king about 25 years ago. My daughter still uses it so it has worn well. She likes that it looks like circles and it is all straight line. It wasn't difficult but it was boring and wasteful. Not on my list of favorites.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:41 AM

I am on my second Double Wedding ring...made one in purples for my oldest daughter, now this one I'm making now is for me..which I very seldom get around to making a quilt for myself..it's a slow process, but work on it some everyday...I make all the footballs (I called them that) with all the little pieces, then put the rows together..I love to keep the edges of the quilt with the scallops...hope to get this one finished in a couple more months..I work on one project at a time..my OCD doesn't allow me to keep several going at a time..I've been quilting for a long time, my mother was a quilter, use to hand quilt peoples quilts for $25 and had the hanging frames from the ceiling..that was back before all the conveniences of rotory cutters, mats, patterns and etc...I hope to have as many years as possible to do what I love..I'll be 77 Aug 3rd..my mom lived to be 93..I love the QB and enjoy reading it everyday..
Old 08-01-2019, 09:35 AM

Most of the ones mentioned are ones I wouldn't consider (DWR, GFG, Pineapple, crazy, Bonnie Hunter, etc) - as they are too fiddly for my admittedly short attention span. : )

I also pass on quilts where the instructions include anything akin to "and now make 256 more of unit A". Gah!!!

But, #1 on the list of things I will never, ever, piece is a postage stamp quilt. Sewing rows of tiny squares, numbering in the thousands, sounds like a punishment. Plus, at the end they look so busy & random it makes the colors muddy.

Now of course there are exceptions - I might find one I like. But, I still wouldn't make one myself.