Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do? >

What to do?

What to do?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:58 AM

I have a friend who made a lap quilt for someone out of her husband's favorite shirts. She included the plackets as sashing and cut square from the shirts, including a few of the pockets (one for his glasses, and one for his pipe). We all thought it was a great idea and it was like having a little of her husband with her. You could even put the valentine in a pocket.

Memories are wonderful things to have, especially when that is all you have remaining. Your daughter has not yet reached the age to realize that. Someday she will be happy and thankful to have that quilt and the memories it evokes.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:31 AM

I am going to wait for a while before I make the quilt with my husband's clothes. I thought maybe later I will be able to talk to my daughter about it again and another reason I think I'll wait I really think I am ready yet,because I started to go through them again and I couldn't finish. I thought maybe I wasn't ready either.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 AM

I made a memory quilt for my Mom when my Dad passed away. I used his clothes but since there were so many plaids I used alot of applique and framed photo's. It took me a year to make and then I had trouble parting with it. My Mom now has it and cuddles with it and she said its very comforting to her. I think if it would be a comfort to you, you should make it!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

My husband passed away a year ago. I cut his shirts apart from when he used to wear them. I am going to make a quilt using the fabric along with some pictures as a memory quilt. I haven't been able to work on it yet, but I will when I am ready. I understand your not being ready yet. There is no rush. Take your time. I also think your daughter is not ready yet to understand. It will take time. When you are ready, and if she is still not ready to deal with things, I would do what I need to do and not push the issue with her. The time will come when she is ready and she will appreciate the quilt much more.

Good luck,
Vicky
Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM

I would like to suggest trying to incorporate some of your husband's handwritting into the quilt. Maybe by tracing something he wrote onto fabric and embroidering the words. There are so many things that are totally unique to people -- their voice, smell, habits and quirks --- their handwritting is one trait that you can capture and keep.

What a wonderful idea! Thanks.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Elaine Hewes
I want to make a memory quilt using my late husband's clothes, but my daughter doesn't want me to. She just to throw them away. I think she trying to forget about her father completely. I also need to know what is the best pattern to use in making the memory quilt. Thank you all in advance!
A friend's husband died several years ago. He had lots of flannel shirts. She had them made into a a quilt, and the pattern was flying geese strippy quilt. It turned out lovely, and she was very pleased.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm with everyone else--do what you want. We all grieve differently, and we all have different needs. We all want to remember our lost loved ones in different ways. Your daughter has her way, but you have a right to yours as well.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm just chipping in with an idea. If your husband shirts are cotton button ups and you are thinking of a quilt, there was a book that came out about 18 months ago. It has patterns for making quilts from old shirts. I can't think of the name of it, maybe someone on this post can.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:14 PM

My sympathies on your loss. Please do what your heart tells you to do.

If your husband wore ties there are lots of patterns available that use the ties for a memory quilt. I know there are even a few books with these patterns.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Elaine, as others have said - I am so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel because I lost my DH this past Sept. I've done nothing with his clothes in the closet, but I have given it a lot of thought and when the time comes I plan to donate his "good" clothes that others can really get some use out of and for those items that would not benefit anyone else - I will make quilts, pillows and possibly a wall hanging so that it will be something of his, yet no one else will know the history of it therefore they won't take it wrong or express an opinion of any kind, just admire the quilt. The same for his ties, they still hang where they were when he was with me and used them, but eventually they will make a beautiful quilt - most are quite colorful. Each of us grieve different, and having 7 children - trust me when I say they have all handled this differently. You have to do what is best for you and when it is best for you.