Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your sewing machine travel with you? >

Does your sewing machine travel with you?

Does your sewing machine travel with you?

Old 08-09-2019, 04:21 AM

My machine is hooked to my hip so to speak, yes it travels with me if I am able to sew other wise I always have my knitting to do
Old 08-09-2019, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I have a machine at the son’s house who lives far away but I use it to mend their things. When we are there we are busy with family so I don’t even thing about things quilt related except when I walk to their local quilt store. Our other trips are places I want to be and we are involved with the trip. We don’t camp or travel in an RV so would be impractical. Also for me, quilting is a hobby I enjoy but I am not compelled to quilt every day. I do it when I want to. My mojo comes and goes and I have learned to roll with it
Old 08-09-2019, 05:37 AM

I Always have a sewing machine packed and ready to go. Indoors or outdoors have sewing machine will travel. I can't do the camping thing anymore because of my health. But I still like to go down to the lake with the machine and plug in at the beach house and sit at a picnic table. (we have a lake association and club house.) I also take it when I go to my children's homes so I can teach the grandchildren how to sew. It goes with me to siblings and friends homes as well as my sit and sews and guild meetings.
As portable as the FW is I am not sure yet if it will travel with me for the time being. I want to get use to it first. I am pretty soon that will change soon though.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:49 AM

I love to travel with a simple hand sewing project, knitting (usually a hat or dishcloths) or crochet (granny squares). I can get an awful lot done while I'm relaxing. I don't take my sewing machine on vacation, but I will take it to DD's house across town for crafting days.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:51 AM

You all are amazing!

I have friends who quilt while RVing or other travel. I don't travel much but I do have portable machines that I can take with me. And I have to admit, most of the people I visit have machines set up at their house which I can use, and we usually do a project or two together.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

So far I haven't but I always have a hand project to take to appointments, on trips, etc.
That may change soon as I'm going to be a Grandmother and will be going to DC a lot. But I probably won't feel like sewing! I could bring my FW along if it happens.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:29 AM

We have a small RV and my FW fits exactly in the space behind the coffee maker on the bottom shelf.... I maybe only use it once or twice a trip, but if DH wants to go for a longer bike ride than me, it is fun to have along.
I always have hand work with me, as I like to get up early, do my stretches outside and sit with my coffee and listen to the birds.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:45 PM

I take embroidery or hand sewing, but not my machine. When we travel, we are usually taking in the local tourist stuff. I did take it with me when accompanied DH to his writer's conference and knew I'd either shop or sew.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:50 AM

I always take my machine with me when we travel/camp in our 5th wheel. We are getting ready to leave for Island Park, ID in 10 days. I usually do baby quilts and table runners, and have them cut and ready to go when we get there. I love sewing in our 5th wheel. We park in the woods and the scenery from our "picture window" is so soothing and enjoyable.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I always have a hand sewing project when we travel on the road, it doesn’t bother me to sew or read in the car. For the first time, I have not brought my sewing machine to the island in which I live on in the summer in Maine but I have started a hand appliqué project and I spend a lot of time in my vegetable garden, kayaking and anything I can do outdoors.

Boothbay is beautiful. ��. What Island do you live on in the summer?