Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Separate Novice and Advanced quilt judging categories? >

Separate Novice and Advanced quilt judging categories?

Separate Novice and Advanced quilt judging categories?

Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Do I understand that in your fair one quilter can enter more than one quilt in a category.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:12 PM

What judging system does your fair use.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 PM

One entry per category
Old 08-11-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
What judging system does your fair use.
American system (judged against each other)
Old 08-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Cindi's comment about the very advanced quilter winning all the ribbons makes me sad. Not just for those who aren't entering because they have no chance of winning, but also for the talented quilter who's satisfied being the big fish in a small pond.

The guild needs to find a way to encourage her to spread her wings and show her work at shows where the competition is at or above her level. Doing so will help her grow as an artist, and perhaps when she doesn't win any ribbons competing against "big time" quilters she might get an idea of how those who compete against her in the local show feel.

I believe that if you know your work is exceptional you should bow out of competing against less experienced and/or gifted quilters. It isn't fair to them and it isn't good for you.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:45 AM

The Festival of Quilts, Birmingham, UK has a Novice Category. ".. quilting for fewer than 3 years, made in the last two, not shown or exhibited before, quilter not to have any formal qualifications in textiles etc"

Many of them were well beyond my skills!!
Old 08-12-2019, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

MQX has an emerging entrant category and AQS Paducah has a "first time entrant" category. These can be for novice quilters but usually the entrants are their first foray into a major national show. While it is rare, novice quilters can win and win big. Back in 2015, Angela Petrocelli took several ribbons with her first quilt "Why Not". But I tend to agree with Dunster, you already have a lot of categories for 40 to 50 quilts.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:04 AM

Cindi, l'm also a very experienced sewist and quilter, and l feel as you do about entering shows, but for a different reason. My work is primarily done for charity and gifts, so l like to use what fabrics are handy, and spend my free time dreaming up the design and making it nice, but in a reasonable time frame. I have no desire to show for the " look what l can do" factor...guess l'm just not a competitor,lol.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 AM

Every quilt has its merit be it a beginner or the best in show at Houston. Not every quilt will earn an award even for a very experienced and talented quilter. We live in a time where so many believe everyone should win a prize that something is getting lost in the meaning of skills. Time effort and learning all go into making a quilt that will win in a showing.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:08 AM

I think there are ways. I know several guild shows that put different categories - one "Master" is for anyone who has won a ribbon before or received money for their work ie longarm quilter, teacher, seller, and a 2nd group "artisan" for the other quilters. This division keeps the ribbon winners competing against other ribbon winners. A non judged category and first time entrant are other good ideas.