Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing! >

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 AM

I like what my quilter says - Quilting is very forgiving. If there is a mistake, small that it may be, the quilting will literally hide it. And it does. Believe me, it does. Edie
Old 02-25-2010, 07:36 AM

I have dealt with the same thing. But a friend of mine who has been quilting for over 40 years told me their are some quilters who are perfectionist and some who just throw it togeather And then their are those who do the best of their ability and if they like it that is all that matters. She also told me everyone has signature block, one that isn't just right. I told her that some times I feel my whole quilt is signature block.LOL Don't be so critical of yourself their are enough out there doing it for you.LOL Just love those quilts that you have made.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:10 AM

I like all the comments on this subject. I have one more to add. When showing off my work I always had a tendency to point out my mistakes. (I don't know why) But a fellow quilter told me to stop, that I was the only one seeing these mistakes. So I have gotten better. I figure if someone is looking for mistakes I shouldn't be showing it to them.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 AM

For many years i taught quilting in my home where I have a collection of antique quilts. One quilt in particular is very charming and it is basically white with a lot of shirting materials in patches and it has a saw tooth border with tons of triagles.
Students would always admire that quilt. So charming. The real old fashioned cotton batting where you can see the lumps of cotton between the stitches.
Anyway, whenever anyone was being critical of their work, and how this point was cut off and this block did not quite line up, i would take them to see that quilt up close.
I'd say "You know that blue and white quilt you that you love in my entry? let's go look at it up close" and when they did they would see that points were cut off the triangles everywhere and things did not line up. But that quilt has been well loved since the 1920's or 30's by many many people. it's been around for 80 or 90 years keeping folks warm, making them feel loved, and adding charm and warmth to a home. No one cares that the points were cut off or the blocks did not match up.
Once that quilt is in use, no one will be examining stitches, or color placement or whatever it is you are finding fault with.
As long as you are not trying to win a ribbon in a show, perfect does not have to be in the vocabulary of a quilter.
keep on stitching!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM

I AM LIKE YOU, I ALSO SEE EVERYTHING WRONG WITH MY WORK.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM

Congratulations! You're not perfect! It's ridiculous to want to be perfect anyway. But then, everybody's ridiculous sometimes, except perfect people. You know what perfect is? Perfect is not eating or drinking or talking or moving a muscle or making even the teensiest mistake. Perfect is never doing anything wrong - which means never doing anything at all. Perfect is boring! So you're not perfect! Wonderful! Have fun! Eat things that give you bad breath! Trip over your own shoelaces! Laugh! Let somebody else laugh at you! Perfect people never do any of those things. All they do is sit around and sip weak tea and think about how perfect they are. But they're really not one-hundred-percent perfect anyway. You should see them when they get the hiccups! Phooey! Who needs 'em? You can drink pickle juice and imitate gorillas and do silly dances and sing stupid songs and wear funny hats and be as imperfect as you please and still be a good person. Good people are hard to find nowadays. And they're a lot more fun than perfect people any day of the week.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in Indiana
:-( When I am making it do it right, But when I get it all done I see every little thing. But when no one can see them to me its like it has flags. I used to make some thing to ware an people loved it I could never ware it. Others would take them an they used them.
I just see every little thing do you all do this too? Or am I the only crazy one. :oops:
"Better finished then perfect" so true. I could see a mistake across the room and stopped quilting for awhile. Then I read that quote and decided the heck with it. If I'm having fun and it doesn't come apart in the wash, I'm good to go.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty47
Congratulations! You're not perfect! It's ridiculous to want to be perfect anyway. But then, everybody's ridiculous sometimes, except perfect people. You know what perfect is? Perfect is not eating or drinking or talking or moving a muscle or making even the teensiest mistake. Perfect is never doing anything wrong - which means never doing anything at all. Perfect is boring! So you're not perfect! Wonderful! Have fun! Eat things that give you bad breath! Trip over your own shoelaces! Laugh! Let somebody else laugh at you! Perfect people never do any of those things. All they do is sit around and sip weak tea and think about how perfect they are. But they're really not one-hundred-percent perfect anyway. You should see them when they get the hiccups! Phooey! Who needs 'em? You can drink pickle juice and imitate gorillas and do silly dances and sing stupid songs and wear funny hats and be as imperfect as you please and still be a good person. Good people are hard to find nowadays. And they're a lot more fun than perfect people any day of the week.
If it is all right with you I am going to print that and put it on my sewing table and it will be the first thing I see when I sit down, first to remind me that I am not perfect and I don't ever want to be and secondly, you aren't perfect and don't want to be either. I am certainly hoping that there are more of us than of them. I like pickle juice and I love standing on one leg when I do dishes. Edie
Old 02-25-2010, 12:53 PM

I think everyone is much more critical of their own work. Maybe it's because we see the mishaps or whatever as we are making the quilt, but they are hard to see in the finished product if you didn't actually do the process.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM

My DH always applies the 10 foot rule....if it can't be seen at 10 feet away, it's too small to worry about!! :lol: :lol: