Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt store prices >

Quilt store prices

Quilt store prices

Old 08-21-2019, 06:38 AM

Default Quilt store prices

I haven't been a beloved quilt store in years, because of where I was living none were available. Now, I'm fortunate to be living near a quilt store. What is the price of fabric going for lately. I was in JoAnne's, which in my opinion is not a top of the line store. To my surprise some fabrics were $12.00 per yard for cotton quilting fabric. What's the going rate in a nice quilt store lately.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

About the same. Depending on the shop and the area prices range from $9 to $14 per yard with the average being right around $12. Of course there are always the closeout/sale areas but for the newest lines with no discounts that is the going rate. Even more for some fabrics like yard dyed Daiwabo Japanese fabric.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I am lucky to have several great quilt shops near me. There is always a sale or special pricing at one of them. I seldom by fabric by the yard at regular price. I do buy quilt backings there at regular price and pay about $15 a yard for spectacular prints. I like great looking quilt backs.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:08 AM

I do not believe that Joann expects anyone to ever pay full price for their fabric, so it is all deliberately over-priced. I don't like this business strategy and always felt like a sucker when I absolutely had to buy something without a coupon. Unfortunately for me, Joann is only about a mile away and the closest alternative for basics is Walmart, with no other options for less than 10+ miles away.

In the Seattle area our quilt stores have been closing and we no longer have the options we once did. Most of the time regular fabric prices are $12-16/yard.

I mostly buy my fabric at the thrift stores now. That's typically about $1-2 per yard. True, I can't really pick what I want or how much I can get, but I get some really great finds and typically I leave more than I take. The Seattle area is a very wealthy area and our thrift store shopping can be sublime.

I mostly work with scrap quilts, but sometimes get enough for what I call a "planned quilt". This is my latest thrift store top, I'm calling it Seahawk Pink. The package of coordinated fabrics was $2.99. pieces were about 1.5-2.5 yards and I used about 2/3rds of it. The remainder will go to my crumb quilter. The batting I will be using is a queen+ sized batt, and I will get two tops out of it, bought at a different Goodwill for another $2.99. Backing has come out my stash, the binding is made and will be the yellow. Pattern is a "free 5 yard quilt" (google brings it up), I took the image and developed my own construction methods. No way would I pay $60 in materials nor would I give it away.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Seahawk Pink Done.jpg
Views:	2231
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	616460  
Old 08-21-2019, 07:32 AM

In BC Canada generally Quit shops are between $17 and $22 per metre, a bit longer than a yard. Now those of you in the US would save 25-30% on the exchange rate.

Kona solids are less expensive.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-21-2019 at 08:08 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Yes the going rate is as Feline Fanatic said, I am fortunate to live three hrs from Amish country in Lancaster Pa. and make a trip down there once and yr and stock up as there prices are on the lower side. I don't usually buy fab from Joann's but have gotten some nice fab there on occasion. But our hobby is an expensive one no matter how you lookat it and so is golfing, fishing, hunting, bowling etc. LOLOLOL Enjoy
Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

that is why we hit the Sales. prices are almost impossible for us.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:00 AM

I need help getting something sticky off my travel iron.
Mariah
Old 08-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
I need help getting something sticky off my travel iron.
Mariah
If the sole plate is non stick then you can't scrub it so try a glue remover. There are several brands you can buy and all work for non delicate items. UnDo is the only one for paper or photos, it will not damage the colors.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:10 AM

My LQS has a nice sale section of older fabrics, or end of bolt newer fabrics and frequently has specials. Twice a year they also discount a large portion of the shop to $5.99/yd.

The very new fabrics seem to run around 10-15, usually dependent on the manufacturer (i.e. Alexander Henry is rarely less than 11-13). Solids are less, usually in the 5-9 range. They have a huge selection of batiks but since I don't buy batiks I don't know the price range.

I like to buy at a discount (so my mother doesn't haunt me) but will pay full price for fabric I adore. I like to shop locally when I can - keeping the LQS open is important to local quilters - it is such a great resource for techniques, tips, help with color combinations, classes, etc.