Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
crazy quilt >

crazy quilt

crazy quilt

Old 08-21-2019, 10:58 AM

Default crazy quilt

can any one tell me how to find pattern for free of how to piece and make a cover that is not sandwiched only two pieces the top and back back also would like to know how to make others that you
tie not quilt thanks
Old 08-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

no batting quilts are sometimes called Summer quilts. that may help you find tutorials.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 PM

You can piece the top however you want. Then just add the back and tie. I live in a hot climate and have also made summer weight quilts using cheap flannel instead of batting.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:31 PM

With crazy quilts I always tie them about every 4". I like to use a small ribbon and put it through a large eye needle. I find it a bit tedious but it works perfect for the end results are great. Of course there is not an inner batting and I like a heavy cotton or flannel for the back.
Because the crazy quilt is a foundation block it really doesn't need to be batted it is already quite heavy. Your local library should have some books on crazy quilting that should help you out some. Especially since there is quite a lot about the historical, victorian, past to these beautiful quilts.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I use embroidery thread to tie quilts. I use all 6 strands so it is heavy and strong. I have a 27 yr old quilt that is still holding up well. I put a very light batting in it. Good luck with yours.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:09 AM

I found out when I had a Summer Quilt quilted, that it is easier to have quilted with a very light batting. The long-armer told me it holds up better also.
The light batting I used was a sheet, but it can be a piece of fabric that doesn't show. I really like the Summer Quilt idea. Need to make another or 2!
Old 08-24-2019, 07:51 AM

I make my Summer quilts with just flannel for the backing and no other batting. You can also use fleece. I don't use fleece because it is a dog hair magnet. I agree with juliasb about crazy or crumb quilts, they are heavy enough that they really don't need batting.