Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt store prices >

Quilt store prices

Quilt store prices

Old 08-22-2019, 11:35 AM

(Hi all, new to this site)
When I came back to sewing after many years hiatus, I was shocked at the prices!
I started buying online because the local shops didn't carry many of these new great designer prints I fell in love with. I buy from mostly Etsy but there are several other favorite online shops with reasonable prices, like Flying Bulldogs and Brooklyn Fabric Company. Hawthorne Threads has great sales and regular fabric prices too and they have free shipping so that really saves. Cheaper than even driving to the fabric store that sells for $12 a yard.

I have a local shop in our small town that takes in fabric & yarn donations from quilters, sewists and estate sales, they sell by the pound and I find a lot of new and vintage pieces. My stash has gotten so large I started selling on Instagram and Etsy for pretty cheap, I just have way too much to keep it all even though I would love to! All their sales go to the local senior center so that's nice.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Calif-Sue, Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 08-23-2019, 03:22 AM

Quilt shops $10 to $13. a yard . being on SS I can't afford shop fabric . sometimes I can find nice fabric
on E bay at a good price , I do my best ….
Old 08-23-2019, 04:38 AM

I find incredible prices and of course the quality is great shopping at Hancocks of Paducah. You can get fabric as low as $3.99 a yard. Also the fabric online that is new release is less than the quilt stores (sadly I have none near me) but MSQC yardage is I believe $11 a yard, FQS is about the same and Kona is less expensive online than in store. Since I have to drive about 80 miles round trip to the nearest quilt shop these days it’s just easier and less expensive shopping online and paying usually $5 for shipping.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:30 AM

Hancocks of Paducah also has sale tables with folded bolt ends. There's a table for regular prints and a table for batiks. None of the tables are priced over $8.99. You can get some real bargains there. They also sell the 108" bolt ends bundled and the prices are fantastic and the 108" stuff has prints and blender colors too. (I buy a lot of this) Hancocks is expensive, but the orange sale tags and the bolt end tables can help even out some of your more expensive purchases.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by kittiebug View Post
Quilt shops $10 to $13. a yard . being on SS I can't afford shop fabric . sometimes I can find nice fabric
on E bay at a good price , I do my best ….
I understand your predicament. There is s store in Batesville, AR, called Marshall Dry Goods. They have over 6 million yards of fabric. Most of it is priced much less than you would pay even at WalMart. I am not sure if their website is MDG.com or MarshallDryGoods.com, but they have displays of their fabrics on the internet, and one can order from them, and they are very prompt in delivery. I am very fortunate that they are located in my state. I do not make heirloom quilts. I make quilts for the joy of creating and seeing people appreciate my effort and use the quilts. I hope you will look into this website.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:59 PM

Thank you, that was a new site for me and the prices are great!
https://marshalldrygoods.com/
Old 08-23-2019, 04:07 PM

Hi Mariah,

Paracetamol - I don't know what it is called in the US... but google will help. Plug the iron in and let it heat up then rub the paracetamol on the sticky area. The paracetamol will bubble and melt and melt off the sticky stage. I couldn't believe it when I was first told this, but when I tried it, it worked!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 08-23-2019, 05:37 PM

Onebyone.
I made that quilt for my great nephew. His name is Finn and his parents wanted a sea quilt. I made this one and it looks like the same fabrics. It was a kit.
Love yours
Old 08-24-2019, 03:36 AM

There are very few QS's in the area's I live and prices range 10.99-22.99. I use to be able to shop at Joann's w/coupons but moved to De and the closest is in Dover 30 miles away. So I'm determine not to buy unless I must and my only choice is a couple of QS's Otherwise I ck out websites and order thru the mail when I catch sales being offered.