Slotted rulers for Quilters >

Slotted rulers for Quilters

Slotted rulers for Quilters

Old 08-23-2019, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

thank you, i thought it was foam.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
These are called 'Stripology' rulers by Creative Grids. There is another maker too, June Taylor?, I think. The creativr grids rulers are very sturdy, and some people over here love them.

I am not aware of any other type, but I could be wrong.
Thank you! CG has a small Stripology ruler that is perfect for making my 6" blocks and I just ordered it with my Amazon birthday card! Really look forward to using it!
Old 08-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I love the June Taylor strip cutter. I use it a whole bunch, wouldn't cut strips anyother way.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:37 AM

Probably Martelli. They have them in several sizes and will make custom for you if you want. Work great and don't slip. If you use their rotary cutter they will cut 10-12 layers
Old 08-24-2019, 03:48 AM

I have both the June Tailor and the Stripology rulers. I actually prefer the June Tailor. It is thinner, and cheaper to buy than the Stripology, and I like that I don't have to fold my fabric. For me the Stripology has too many markings, makes for easy mistakes in cutting. Those Martelli rulers look like you have to have several to make the cuts you may want to make, and they sure are expensive. I'll stick with my June Tailor.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:22 AM

I have the Martelli. I cant get used to them (although i admit i have not spent a lot of time). I don't like not seeing what’s underneath.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:50 AM

I have the June Tailor and I find it flimsy. It makes my cuts ever so slightly bowed in the middle as it flexes. I’d love to try the creative grids version though. The other rulers I have by them are better than anything else I own.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:06 AM

I’ve been using the June Taylor slotted rulers for years. Also I like the newer and wider CreativeGrids. Love these rulers! They are real timesavers. I have broken June Taylor’s due to mishandling but I certainly got my money’s worth!

I do want to share a tip. My cutting mat is a bit larger than the table I use for cutting. This is a real advantage with these rulers. I purchased a metal clamp from the hardware store. These have plastic on the ends and handles and they grip like nothing else. I position my ruler and clamp it to my cutting mat on the edge nearest me. Then I cut away.

I usually reposition and recut the edge after four or five strips. This just assures better accuracy. I’m not that picky usually but I cut for my charity bee and i try to keep as accurate as I can for them. These rulers are my mainstays!

Last edited by mhollifiel; 08-24-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Recently i watched utube and happened upon someone cutting strips. but the slotted "ruler" looked like dark gray foam with slits. What is that? What ever it is looked like it would be better than trying to cut in between plastic. nicks can happen that way. Just wondering. anyone?
I use Creative Grids almost exclusively as they are very thick and sturdy. Not easily chipped or nicked with a blade. I do have two June Taylor strip cutters and both got nicks etc after using a very short time. The 2nd one was a gift and I tried to be extral careful about nicks. No luck. Will not buy June Taylor again.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:45 PM

Would you believe I've had all three!?

June Taylor - never liked it. The in between plexi is thin enough that if I hit it with the cutter, I'd get a crooked cut. Too flimsy

Martelli - never got the hang of their cutter, which is too bad. As I get older and my hands are weaker and ache, the ergonimic handle might help. As Fizzle mentioned above, you can't see through it, which I felt was a deal breaker.

Creative Grids Stripology - I *love* this thing! I have the bigger one. Have never had a problem with mis-cuts or crooked cuts. I do have to be careful where I put the teardrop (where the blade goes in) as if it's too close to the edge of the fabric, there will be an uncut part near the fabric fold. Not a huge deal, as it can be snipped with scissors if needed. The slots are 1/2" apart, with a star under those that you'd need to use to cut 1-1/2" strips and a square under those for a series of 2-1/2" strips.