2019 Fabric Moratorium

Old 08-25-2019, 08:39 AM

Ok, I have to fess up. A couple of days ago there was one of those Bluprint coupons in my inbox. I've been being really good about throwing them away. But I just finished taking a great workshop with Danny Amazonas and seeing what all you can do with small amounts of brightly colored/highly patterned fabric. Since I love Kaffe Fassett fabric anyway, but most of my quilts don't use those kinds of fabrics, I have only a small amount of Kaffe fabrics in my stash. Anyway, the Bluprint coupon. It was for $20 off $40. There was a 20 piece Kaffe fat quarter bundle on sale at Blueprint for just over $40. It went in my cart. I'm thinking "that's only $1 per fat quarter and the going rate is now $3, Yes!" (there was also a fist pump involved, but no dancing around the studio).

Alas, I'd forgotten about my automatic 15% discount for being a Blueprint member. Now the 20 fat quarters were only going to cost me $37 and change, so no $20 off. That means instead of $1 each they were going to be just under $2 each. That's not nearly as good as getting them for 1/3 the normal cost....What to do??? A Kaffe 42 piece jelly roll in light colors, also on sale, ended up in my cart. Now my cost with the 15% discount was going to be $78. Less the $20 coupon for spending at least $40 equals $58. So I got a 20 piece set of Kaffe fat quarters and a 42 piece jelly roll for $58. Not that I needed them, nor did I check to see how they would fit in to any gaps in my stash...But what a price! errmm......

It was my first fall off the wagon in quite a while....

Today, there was another one of the same coupon in my inbox. I threw it out.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 08-25-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:13 AM

Rob, I wouldn’t sweat this one. Might well have made the same decision. It’s so rare to find a Kaffe fabric deal. I slowly started building my Kaffe collection (1/3-1/2 yd at a time) the last couple years for a project I have in mind for the distant future.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:38 AM

I'm not a big Kaffe fan, so no problem for me. My apparel sewing comes back to haunt me with all those colors and prints thrown together. I have to have some solids to calm all that busyness down. But if it was Civil War fabric, then there would be a problem. But I have been ignoring those Bluprint emails, but I suspect my willpower will crash at some point.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:45 PM

LOL, grann of 6.

Rob, it sounds like pretty good reasoning to me, to take advantage of a good deal in order to put to use what you learned in a class (that you probably paid for). In fact, you coul consider it part of the class expenditure, LOL.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I ordered 1 1/2 yd. of cream background fabric and now I can't remember what it was for.
Lol!! so funny and it happens to all of us.... You'll make good use of it...
Old 08-25-2019, 04:34 PM

Rob...you deserve the oopsers! There is a small drawer space that you have decluttered that would be perfect for these.

I made a barn quilt....my first one but what I really wanted to tell you was that the materials (wood and paint) was in my hubbie's stash....lol!!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

Rob, those Bluprint sales are hard to pass up! I didn't see the Kaffe fabrics, darn, but I got some yarn for 2 knitting projects.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:58 AM

Off the wagon I went this weekend. On a little trip to bike in northeast Iowa so had to stop at a couple of shops and yes made an unnecessary purchase in each. 1.5 yards at the first one. Of a multi color bright dots on a white background. At the second shop they had $4 off if you finished a "Skinny bolt" so 2.75 of a red print came home with me. Someone needs to lend me a hand back up on the wagon. But wait until Wednesday as our guild's charity auction and Mall in the hall sale is tomorrow. (mall in the hall is a huge garage sale for quilting things and of course fabric)
Old 08-26-2019, 07:47 AM

Grab my hand, LindaJane, and sit beside me. I'm not doing so hot either, just ordered 2 sets of FQs from jellyrollfabric.net, one is WoWs and one is Wonaturals. But they will go good with the calico FQs I got the other day.

I prepped 6 more fabric boxes, so that is 12 more FQs gone, and I cut out 2 more pillowcases to make 55 for the charity. I should be able to sew them all up this afternoon. Then it will be back to some unfinished projects I started last week.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:04 AM

I think of the fabric moratorium as a goal/support group Some fabric is still going to come into our lives, but we stop and think and plan. I think quick turnaround purchases are fine, you are making a project and you need something you don't have, then you can get just exactly what you need and still be fine. Now, if you need half a yard and come home with 6 then we need to have another chat.

And sometimes there are deals too good to pass up. Sadly, quilt shops closing is one of those times.

I've done ok this week -- no thrift store purchases even. It was funny, I was at one of my local thrift store shops on Sunday (part of hubby and my weekly bowling date, we stop at two thrift stores on the way home) and had a piece of yardage n my hands. A year ago I would have bought it with no qualms but I'm there looking at the fishing themed fabric and can't think of a way I would actually use it in the next two years. So I put it back and it was quickly snatched (it was like the 5 second floor rule) by the lady behind me. LOL, some small regret but she obviously wanted it more than I did.

There is nothing wrong with collecting fabric. Heck, some of us have done it for decades! wink wink /raises hand

It's just that we've decided to do more using and less collecting right now.

Right now I'm quilting down some donation tops so I can have something to bring to group, I hate the hand binding and it goes by much better with company. Then I'm going to dedicate a box to potential projects, where I put fabrics together, usually I measure out the yardage at the same time and safety pin that to the fabric (I have archival tags and brass pins from when I was collecting vintage fabrics). I have a couple ideas using the Simplish pattern, one an under the sea theme, the other a "Horse with no name" desert and horse prints that can go in there, plus I have the yardage collected for an Easter fabric collection, I've decided on the pattern and need to chose 9 fabrics and put the rest back. Then when I get the mood to do a quick project, I can peek into that box and see what strikes my fancy and that has sufficient yardage. Plus, I'll put that box into an easily accessed location and shift something not being used into the back/bottom of the stacks.