Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Ago Garage Sale Find >

Long Ago Garage Sale Find

Long Ago Garage Sale Find

Old 08-28-2019, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
The data restore prices are higher than its worth to me, especially with no guarantees.
Goodness gracious, yes it is! My best friend has an external drive that the power source went bad and corrupted it to the point it's unreadable, but we can see the files are still there. She took it to a computer repairman, he quoted her at two grand just to look at it and no guarantee he can pull anything off of it!
Old 08-29-2019, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]616757[/ATTACH]

More of his garage sale finds....
Women of Influence is very difficult to find- least expensive one on Amazon is $81. Tried to get on inter library loan and was told that there were only two libraries with a copy and both were out of state. Great Find! Enjoy!
Old 08-29-2019, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

That brings back wonderful memories!!
Georgia Bonesteel was the first quilter I remember when I started. I have all her books to this day! I got rid of most of mine but kept hers and a few others.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by junegerbracht View Post
Women of Influence is very difficult to find- least expensive one on Amazon is $81. Tried to get on inter library loan and was told that there were only two libraries with a copy and both were out of state. Great Find! Enjoy!
I was not aware of that with Women of Influence, the book is just beautiful and the quilts they show in it are just stunning! I love that book so much!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
That brings back wonderful memories!!
Georgia Bonesteel was the first quilter I remember when I started. I have all her books to this day! I got rid of most of mine but kept hers and a few others.
I think I'm going to start looking into getting the rest of the patterns, if I can find them. I know the book isn't complete, would love to finish it off.

It is so cool to find these treasures, I'm trying to hunt down the other book that he found me that has nothing but Civil War blocks and quilts in it, not sure why it's not in my quilting collection, so I'm freaking out a little bit, lol
Old 08-29-2019, 07:41 AM

I always watched Georgia Bonesteel on TV and she is the one who taught me how to make continuous bias strips and quilting one block at a time. I also have kept her quilt books. I also love Kaye Woods and I was fortunate enough to attend a couple of her workshops. I am a sucker for quilt books and even though I cleaned out my bookcase I kept most of those. Good find. I love shopping at yard sales. Our Woman's Club has 2 rummage sales each year and I take boxes of donated items and then I bring home boxes of someone else's stuff. The club members laugh that we are our own best customers.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:43 PM

He's a keeper.. So NOW tell him you want a fairly new Embroidery machine w/software.. and a lovely clean working Featherweight in a good case w/all attachments and modern bobbin case.. no shuttle bobbin.. LOL
Old 08-30-2019, 10:59 AM

Keepers for sure! Have fun and enjoy quilting!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
I think I'm going to start looking into getting the rest of the patterns, if I can find them. I know the book isn't complete, would love to finish it off.

It is so cool to find these treasures, I'm trying to hunt down the other book that he found me that has nothing but Civil War blocks and quilts in it, not sure why it's not in my quilting collection, so I'm freaking out a little bit, lol
Check Ebay. They sell everything!

I also kept some of my quilt history books. They are so enjoyable to read.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I bought a 3.5 drive that plugs in through the USB port! The disk that I think it is on lets me read one folder but not another. We have one backup system that I think is still Windows 7 but I'm not sure... going to try it on that system.

The data restore prices are higher than its worth to me, especially with no guarantees.
My 3.5 in. disks didn't hold patterns, but photos. I tried to access them, but the system kept saying something that said it couldn't find the files. I, too found they were too expensive to restore with no guarantee. After I had tossed about half of them, I figured out it would give me the message that it couldn't be accessed, but it could. I can't remember all the details, but try just ignoring the message and move forward as if it didn't give you the error message. I was able to get to almost all of them that way. Too bad I didn't figure it out before I tossed so many.

bkay