Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Pounce >

Quilt Pounce

Quilt Pounce

Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 PM

I love my quilt pounce! It works better if you pound it a little and then swipe it side to side as if you were erasing the chalk off of a chalk board. Just pounding it doesn't work all that well. I LOVE that it completely disappears when you iron it.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by amma
On Fons and Porter a LAQ showed how she uses the pounce. She takes a slightly damp sponge and dampens the fabric, lays the stencil down, and then she uses a foam brush to apply the pounce chalk. She said she barely dips the brush into it, and just paints it on. A little goes a long way this way too. She got good coverage and it seemed to stay in place while she quilted the area too. There wasn't any chalk flying around and very little loose chalk left on top of the stencil when she was done.
This sounds like a great idea! Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I don't have the pounce, but I have used chalk and it's messy and comes off. I got a great idea from my Mother. My grand niece is always drawing on everything and my Mother got her the childproof color wash out markers. That's what I've been using. However, I mark on a piece of scrap fabric first, then wash it to make sure it's going to come out. That way I can mark it in any color I want that will show up, then wash and viola.
Doug in Akron, OH
Does it matter how long you leave it on the fabric. In other words is it harder to get out if left on too long.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM

You can also spray a little hair spray over the chalk to keep it in place and all should wash out no problem. But definately test anything you plan on marking with even if it says it will wash out. Used a yellow chalk pencil and it didn't wash out completely, luckily I used yellow thread and it was my own quilt. I went through all my marking utensils and chucked the ones that didn't come out with ease.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Originally Posted by nativetexan
i've bought some but haven't used it yet. i bought the chalk that washes out. not irons off.
i've read some quilters spray with hairspray to keep the chalk in place till the quilt is done and can be soaked in the washing machine.
Ok, with the washable chalk, can you still iron it and not have it stain?
Yes, I use tailor's chalk and it irons right off. No mess either.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM

I don't know if anyone else marks an entire quilt top with chalk before they start quilting and has success with it, but i would expect it to rub off. I just mark as i go and it works fine. I think that is a good tip about dampening the fabric before you use the chalk. I bet it would work nicely. When correctly used, the pounce is not messy. Once you fill the container with the chalk and get it flowing it is fine. Just remember not to do anything but SWIPE the chalk pad over the stencil. It should really be called the swipe!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by beshearskk
Originally Posted by amma
On Fons and Porter a LAQ showed how she uses the pounce. She takes a slightly damp sponge and dampens the fabric, lays the stencil down, and then she uses a foam brush to apply the pounce chalk. She said she barely dips the brush into it, and just paints it on. A little goes a long way this way too. She got good coverage and it seemed to stay in place while she quilted the area too. There wasn't any chalk flying around and very little loose chalk left on top of the stencil when she was done.
This sounds like a great idea! Thank you for sharing.
Amma, not sure what a foam brush is, but it sounds good. will try that on my next baby quilt. thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM

amma, she paints the pounce in the direction of the stencil? one of the reasons that i stopped using my pounce was that it got hooked on the points of the stencil and bent them upwards and ruined the outlines. this sounds much more controlled. so, just dampen the cloth, dip the foam brush and slowly paint the powder on? it sounds very slow, but worth trying.

i also wonder if you could do that one block at a time before the blocks are put together.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:54 PM

I tried BOTH kinds of POUNCE and I did CRY. That stuff is still in my sewing room and I thought about giving it away but there isn't anyone I would do that to and I can't seem to throw it away because of the money so if there is anyone out there that LIKES it----- contact me privately and I will GLADLY send mine to you.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by kkbrand
Do you own the quilt pounce and does it work well? Is it worth the investment?
"Pounce" is actually a misnomer. You actually swipe the pad across the stencil, not pounce it. In any case, I don't think it works very well. I don't think the lines come out vey clear, nor does it stay on very well.