Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need new sewing machine=which one? >

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM

I have a Janome and love it. I would guess if I were to buy, I would want a Bernina for sure, but the price would send me back to the Janome. Janome is a good product too.
The stitch regulator on the Bernina looks wonderful, but....
Enjoy whatever machine youd decide on.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM

I have a Jenome and love it. I had a Viking before and didn't like it at all.
Good luck on finding a machine!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 AM

I just looked at a Pfaff a couple of days ago. The lady at the store told me all about it. For quilters, it is FABULOUS with what it can do. The one that I looked at was not even top of the line. This particular store somehow gives wonderful discounts on their machines AND the store owner does all repairs and maintenance so no machine ever gets sent out for anything. I have to save my pennies, nickels and dimes to the $600 together (the machine is an $1100 one) before I can do anything. However, I am definitely going to go with a Pfaff because I will never have a problem getting advise or anything else. I feel very blessed to live here in Maine near this fabric store that sells everything I could imagine and then can order what is not there for me.
Originally Posted by Kay M
Hi Everyone,
New from Colo. I need a new sewing machine. Looked at the Bernina 830. Gulp! Worth the money?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 AM

My first machine was a Kenmore. Then got another Frrearm Kenmore. Stiil have, still work good. Wanting a quilting machine. Got a Babylock Pro choice Quilters Professionel I love it. Fantastic Machine. Bought a Babylock Ellure Plus. Kept for a year , traded it in for the babylock Elleago. Wanted a bigger embroidery field. All have been great machine & I would buy anything else. Also Brother who is the cheaper version of babylock is on sale right now. so check it out. You get what you pay for.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Hi Kay,
Welcome to you from Arizona!
I have many machines for different reasons. I love my two Vikings...#1 and #1+. My Featherweight is a joy to sew on, because it is simple. Bought a Janome Jem Platinum 760 which is the best little machine. It has great stitches and is light enough to take to classes. The price is also very reasonable. I think this is my favorite. Also have a Brother that I use for long arm quilting. Have heard from two dealers to stay away from Baby Lock.
Good luck in making your decision.
Chris
Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Hi Kay. I have a 34 year old Viking that I loved but when I used the new walking foot it did something to the tension & I haven't been able to use it since then. I have an inexpensive Kenmore that I like for everyday sewing (when I do it). In June '09 my DH insisted we buy the Bernina 820 since they had a great sale on & a 3 years/no interest payment plan. I've yet to use it even though I've had 2 lessons from the dealer. It's too darn fancy for me & to be truthful, I'm scared to use it. Debby in Austin is correct in her suggestions to you. But once I get over my fear of my Berni, I know I'll love her.
Karenn
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by busiacam
Hi Kay,
Welcome to you from Arizona!
I have many machines for different reasons. I love my two Vikings...#1 and #1+. My Featherweight is a joy to sew on, because it is simple. Bought a Janome Jem Platinum 760 which is the best little machine. It has great stitches and is light enough to take to classes. The price is also very reasonable. I think this is my favorite. Also have a Brother that I use for long arm quilting. Have heard from two dealers to stay away from Baby Lock.
Good luck in making your decision.
Chris
Don't know why the dealers said to stay away from babylock. I have never had any trouble with any of mine & my dealers are super people. Mine sell Phaff & Babylock. I really don't understand.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM

I was also kinda scared of my 1st computerized machine but once I learned to use it, it was great. When I got my fancier one wnet right into it with no problems. So Karenn give that fancy sister a try.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM

I don't know either. All I know is that when I went shopping and looked at the Baby Lock two dealers in different cities said they would not recommend my buying one because they had had nothing but trouble with them.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM

I have a Janome 6600 and wouldn't trade it for anything. It does everything I need, plus some. Also it is very easy to use.