Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Lap Quilt! >

My Lap Quilt!

My Lap Quilt!

Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 AM

Cute cute!
Old 09-04-2019, 06:30 AM

What fun! Do keep at least one of your early works/make something for yourself.

I've spent a lot of years quilting for other people. My own quilts were getting pretty ratty and I realized that I deserved quilt gifts too! So while I am still doing little quilts for others, right now most of what I'm making big is for me.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:40 AM

I think you did a great job on your mini quilt and your friend is going to treasure it.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:44 AM

Nice job, border color is great choice to allow the center to be the focus. Your friend will be very happy to receive your gift 😀

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 09-04-2019, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by ameliamarie75 View Post
...................edited..............I feel like there is something I should add to the borders, like more quilting or something. My mom suggested knot-tying the border, and I think that might be cute but I don't know. There is a whole lot of mistakes, and the fabric is cheap from Walmart, but I'm still proud of it

Great beginners quilt. I agree that the border needs more quilting. You could quilt “X” by continuing your “X’s” that you have quilted in the piecing area (body of the quilt). That would be cute and still do-able even though you have finished the edges already. Take care though—-there could be puckering because the outer edge is sewn down and any excess (puffiness) has nowhere to go. It can be worked in though.

Also I would not tie the borders. It might be cute but typically tied quilts are tied everywhere, not just in the border. I hope you repost when you decide how you want to finish the borders.

PS. I would have loved to have had a friend make a quilt for me!!!

Last edited by Ellen 1; 09-04-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:12 AM

Such a thoughtful person you are! Your friend should be delighted with your gift.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
It's very pretty! I wouldn't knot tie the borders, since the rest is machine quilted, I would continue with machine quilting in the borders. You could always use the same or another decorative stitch in the borders. If you don't want to do anything as labor intensive as crosshatching (which would reflect the X's stitched in the blocks), a wavy stitch down the middle will do.
Thank you!! I thought of doing something like that actually, I thought it would look nice. Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'm going to try it!
Old 09-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
Great beginners quilt. I agree that the border needs more quilting. You could quilt “X” by continuing your “X’s” that you have quilted in the piecing area (body of the quilt). That would be cute and still do-able even though you have finished the edges already. Take care though—-there could be puckering because the outer edge is sewn down and any excess (puffiness) has nowhere to go. It can be worked in though.

Also I would not tie the borders. It might be cute but typically tied quilts are tied everywhere, not just in the border. I hope you repost when you decide how you want to finish the borders.

PS. I would have loved to have had a friend make a quilt for me!!!
Thank you so much! I really like that idea.... I'm either going to do Xs or crosshatching (I think crosshatching is different from just Xs but I might be wrong?)
Old 09-04-2019, 11:23 AM

That is very cute. It’s a very thoughtful gift for your friend. Hope you continue making quilts. I like the idea of a serpentine stitch through the middle of the border.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:23 AM

What a cute quilt! Your friend will like it! I wouldn’t do anything in the border. I like it the way it is with the decorative edging. Amelia Marie, do not knock your quilting. You are learning a wonderful hobby. You really did a nice job for your 3rd quilt!