Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Addiction >

Sewing Machine Addiction

Sewing Machine Addiction

Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 AM

Only 3 machines?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 AM

I have 8 machines and would like to move to a larger house so I could buy more. Can only use one at a time, but everyone is special. Just as there is no such thing as too much chocolate, too much fabric or too much garlic, so it goes with sewing machine. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 AM

What a bunch of enablers we all are. And I am right there with you. I have more then I care to count. A gal needs back up, right. I would love to have several set up at once, but not enough room at the moment. I used to tell my husband every time I bought another that it was for one of my daughters. I don't anymore. I don't think he ever believed me anyway.

Maybe there needs to be a sewing machines anonymous or better idea, a contest to see who has the most sewing machines? That would be fun.

I actually passed up a nice Bernette this morning at a yard sale. It was only 250.00 which seemed very fair. However I am saving up for a Featherweight so I moved on. It about killed me, but I did it. Then I bought 50 bucks worth of fabric from the lady. Lucky me !
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM

oops, sorry for the double post.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:33 PM

You are doing good I have 14 and you better buy the machine because if I see it I may snatch it from you. (lol)
Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM

I agree with the others - you can never have too many machines! I have 2 older Kenmore machines I would never sell. I have an Elna serger, Janome MC4800 and Compulock serger, was given an older Singer in a cabinet. I also have 3 Singers I used to teach sewing classes. I bought an extra Janome serger for class -- then -- I bought a Janome 11000 mainly for my embroidery, Janome 1600P for my Hinterberg quilting frame and a Janome CoverPro1000. Looks like 13 for me! I also have an Elna machine that needs work, an antique treadle machine, a Singer in a cabinet in the shed and a Kenmore that I canabalized when I fixed another machine and an old Singer in a portable case - oops - that's 18. Whew!

Sewing Machine Owners Anonymous - where's the first meeting going to be? I need to sign up!

Now, if I can just find the time I need to sew and quilt!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by vicki75
ok...what is wrong with me? I found a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 on craigslist and now it's all I can think about. It's a great price and only one year old. I can't even sleep at night because I think I need it. It would look very nice snuggled up next to my Babylock and across from my Bernina. And that's the problem! Why on earth do I think I need 3 sewing machines? I'm only 1 person who can sew on 1 machine at a time. Then my DH pointed out that I have my old Kenmore in the closet. I told him that one doesn't count because I learned how to sew on it and I just can't sell it. Do we all have this kind of problem or do I need serious help? :mrgreen:

And did I mention the lady is willing to let me try the Pfaff out for a few days t see if I like it! Like it's even a possibility I wouldn't like it....
I'm guessing that neither your Baby Lock or Bernina have the fabulous built in walking foot that Pfaff does. Grab it quick -you'll love it! :-D
Old 02-25-2010, 04:20 PM

You need that machine, as another sewing machine addicted person I speak from experience! LOL
I have about 20 machines of various ages, several from garage sales/thrift stores and several modern machines. Most of them get used, I am fortunate to have a large sewing room so have several machines set up & ready to go, my sewing friends come over for sew-athon's for charities.
The local sewing machine dealers know of my addiction, they even give out my ph. # when someone comes in wanting to donate a machine, they know I'll clean it up, make sure it sews well & pass it on to someone needing a machine.
Even my husband keeps a lookout for machines that we can rehab, he enjoys tinkering with them.
Oh the happy day when all our children grown, educated & 3 daughters married, that was when I finally had my own sewing room & realized it was legal to have more than one machine! LOL
Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 PM

I just bought that same machine at the Road to California this year and Love, Love, Love it. I had a Babylock Ellageo Embroidery machine and an Elna 6005 but I had to have a Pfaff. I had been obsessing on it for a few months and when I was at the show, I could not resist the good price and the fact that I have always wanted a Pfaff with IDT. I have sold my Babylock and not looked back. The 4.0 has a 10" throat and that makes it so nice to have the extra room for free motion quilting. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:54 PM

You might not need it but you'll kick yourself if you don't buy it. And you'll make sure it goes to a good home. Yours!!!