Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you like to re-purpose items to be used for your quilting hobby? >

Do you like to re-purpose items to be used for your quilting hobby?

Do you like to re-purpose items to be used for your quilting hobby?

Old 09-01-2019, 05:00 AM

This is a great thread, fun seeing how creative we are. I use the cheese or pretzel jars to hold little pieces of left-over binding (8" or more). Every once in awhile I sew them together for a scrappy binding. Fun for kids quilts.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-01-2019 at 06:08 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-01-2019, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

An oldie ... but a whole bunch more ideas for you ............

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!
Old 09-02-2019, 07:13 AM

ditto. It's a great solultion.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:05 AM

One of my favorite ideas is to use an empty dental floss container to hold needles for hand sewing when traveling. The little cutter works for thread, so you don't have to risk having an over-zealous TSA inspector take away your scissors.

I also use one for bend/used needles. When it gets full, I wrap it in duct tape and toss out.

Neither of these is original to me. I read about both ideas -- maybe on QB!
Old 09-02-2019, 02:19 PM

Another idea - I do a lot of paper piecing. My glue sticks, when left out even covered, dry out. I have found that the usual School Glue Stick fits right inside a large amber pill bottle from the pharmacy! It stays moist and usable!! If I do something dumb - like leave it out uncovered - I spray a little water on the end and stick it back into the pill bottle and cover it - voila! It is again usable.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:03 PM

I use the 12 inch scrap booking containers (they are 12 inches square but only about 3 inches deep) to hold all my square rulers (from my 2 1/2 inch up to my 12 inch rulers fit in there). I lay the container flat and slide it under a table in my sewing room. Now my rulers don't take up valuable (and scant) wall space. They are also stackable.

I also use the 12 inch scrap booking containers for WIPS. Holds finished blocks nicely and keeps them together and clean.

I buy them at craft stores (Michael's, AC Moore, JAF or Hobby Lobby) and they tend to be price out about $4 after coupons.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
Another idea - I do a lot of paper piecing. My glue sticks, when left out even covered, dry out. I have found that the usual School Glue Stick fits right inside a large amber pill bottle from the pharmacy! It stays moist and usable!! If I do something dumb - like leave it out uncovered - I spray a little water on the end and stick it back into the pill bottle and cover it - voila! It is again usable.
I have the drying out glue stick issue also so I will try your tip to store them in a pill bottles. Hooray!
Old 09-05-2019, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I have the drying out glue stick issue also so I will try your tip to store them in a pill bottles. Hooray!
I keep painters tape or masking tape in plastic bag. It doesn’t get old and dried out between painting jobs.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:01 PM

I put my glue sticks in a ziploc baggie and keep them in my fridge..they last forever. I have some that are 3 years old and are like new. I will try that with my masking tape, now that i've read the above post..would probably work just as well.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:12 PM

I have a large(20) collection of Starbucks cups. When they get chipped or the handle comes off I use them to keep small items all together by the sewing machine. I do not burn candles anymore, so I use the candle holders to display my handmade ornaments for any party or holiday. Small handled bags catch all my scraps and then I sew them to cash register rolls about a foot long for lots of crafty things.