Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DWR Question - Pressing >

DWR Question - Pressing

DWR Question - Pressing

Old 09-08-2019, 10:00 AM

When I made a DWR. Just one. I used the Marti Michell templates and pressed toward the arcs. I don't remember which way she said to press, I just wanted the arcs to raise a little and the melons to recede.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:33 PM

Lol, I must have been in the cloth diaper world too long, or I haven't switched acronyms well enough. I clicked on this thinking, "Pressing DWR (durable water repellent?) Is that how you set it? Can't remember, better see what everyone is saying." Weeeellll this was a surprise! I don't have amy experience with this kind of DWR, but I did see a flimsy for sale in a local thriftstore (it was $150.00, so not actually very thrifty.) It had puckers in the pointy ends of a few of the footballs, and I was wondering how that happened.

The tag said it was vintage, and the fabric looked like it may have been preWWII. I'll post the pix one of these days and we can discuss it.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
If you have scraps around, why not make a couple of the arches and try pressing them each way? Be aware that not all may want to go one way, but it will give you an idea.
That's actually what I've been doing and the reason why it raised the question, lol. I really do like the way they're laying with the seams pressed to the arch, I just want to make sure this isn't going to create issues down the road, some insist press towards the melon, some insist press towards the arch.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I use Shar Jorgensen's instruction and templates for the DWR and have made 5 out of 6 of them very successfully. Her instructions work when it comes right down to the sewing the arches together. They will lay flatter when you need them to lay flat as you get ready to sew things all together. All of mine have been scrappy and have been well received. The one I have for DH and myself is starting to wear thin after 20+ years of use on our bed. I am now doing my best to restore it. I think it is much easier to make it from scratch than to restore it. I hand quilted all of my DWR quilts.
I've actually considered doing this one by hand, but I have arthritis, carpal tunnel and I'm now experiencing tendon lock and I've put down a grandmother's flower garden for the time being because of the pain. I'm really hoping to get this quilt started no later than January so I can have it completed in September of next year, there's an area fall festival that has a yearly quilt show that I would love to enter this one into.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 PM

Have you checked the DWR pattern that Cheryl Phillips has? I purchased her book "Rings that Bind" which came with the templates years ago and made my daughter a DWR queen size. I saw her demo her pattern on Alex Anderson's Show. It was time consuming because I was also working at the time, but turned out beautifully. This was an easy pattern the way hers is constructed. Check her out at Phillips Fiber Art. I just checked she still carries that book it is $17.99. I suggest you check and see if she has a video of her method to compare.

Last edited by Gerbie; 09-10-2019 at 09:37 PM.