Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need new sewing machine=which one? >

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:44 PM

I am not real fond of dealers that slam other companies products. I have to admit I don't know anything about Babylock other than what I heard at the last show I attended. My friend was at the Babylock exhibit, and I can't tell you how many quilters that stopped by to tell her how much they loved their particular model of Babylock.

Sometimes it is one bad experience, that will jade an individuals idea of a particular brand. Like me I would never buy another singer other than a Featherweight which I own and love. But I had a Singer in the 80s that spent all of it's time in the shop, so it is not on the top of my list as a machine I favor.

I would take the recommendation of a quilter first over the dealer and then try several of the machines I have heard really good things about and try those machines.

I love going to a quilt show and mostly men are selling Longarms, dressed in their suits and they are worse than Used Car Salesmen. I usually look for a quilter that has used the machine and what they have to say about it. Then test drive it. I know their are some great longarm men quilters out their, but they are not usually the ones selling the longarms.

Ok off my soap box.
Originally Posted by Debra Mc
Originally Posted by busiacam
Hi Kay,
Welcome to you from Arizona!
I have many machines for different reasons. I love my two Vikings...#1 and #1+. My Featherweight is a joy to sew on, because it is simple. Bought a Janome Jem Platinum 760 which is the best little machine. It has great stitches and is light enough to take to classes. The price is also very reasonable. I think this is my favorite. Also have a Brother that I use for long arm quilting. Have heard from two dealers to stay away from Baby Lock.
Good luck in making your decision.
Chris
Don't know why the dealers said to stay away from babylock. I have never had any trouble with any of mine & my dealers are super people. Mine sell Phaff & Babylock. I really don't understand.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM

My mom had a Whites sewing machine (they still make them) & she always said the new Singers had plastic parts & when they got hot would warp. That was in the 60's. My treadle a Singer I learned to sew on was a great machine. We still have it. Everybody is gonna have their favorites. Best thing is to check around & see what is close to you & get demos.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:30 PM

Bernina 830 ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/BERNINA-830-RECO...item414d58d93f
Old 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Kay M
Hi Everyone,
New from Colo. I need a new sewing machine. Looked at the Bernina 830. Gulp! Worth the money?
If you can afford it and it has the features why not?
I know there is an 820 and an 830 and one is an embroidery machine and the other one is a normal sewing machine which would probably be cheaper without the embroidery function. I just love the throat space on it...
Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM

That is the old 830. Their is now an 8 Series 830, with embroidery hoop and accessories runs between 12,000 and 14,000.

http://www.bernina8series.com/

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM

I have several Pfaff's and LOVE them. You will find that most quilters are very faithful to whatever brand they are hooked on. I have some Pfaff's for sale if you are interested. Just send me a PM and I can give you the details.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Hi, Welcome from PA. I have a Janome, LOVE it!! Have had it for 5yrs. does a great job..
Old 02-25-2010, 03:49 PM

I also am looking for a new machine. I will be going with the Bernina 440 because of the stitch regulator. Make sure what ever you buy, you get classes and help from the quilt store to get use to the new machine.

Sophie
Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Really glad you decided on the Bernina. Happy Sewing :)
Old 02-25-2010, 04:22 PM

Hello - I am proud (and minus a lot of pennies) of an almost year old Bernina 820. With its large throat and what I consider commerical grade insides, I have already ran past a million stitches of loving it! (Have two other Bernina too) My advice is if you have the funds available and do not want machine embroidery (with computer applications, etc), then save some money and get the Bernina without all the bells and whistles that come with the 830. They are the same machine--one just does not have the hoops and machine embroidery. The 820 has all kinds of patterns within straight stitching, quilting and many others, including numbers and alphabet. Gosh, I should go to work for them as I am sounding like a sales person. It also depends how much you sew. I quilt probably on an average of 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. That is what retirement is all about. Good luck with your choice.