Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Westalee or Farrell rulers for free motion anyone >

Westalee or Farrell rulers for free motion anyone

Westalee or Farrell rulers for free motion anyone

Old 09-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Default Westalee or Farrell rulers for free motion anyone

I have been contemplating buying the acrylic rulers for free motion Wondering if anyone has tried these and what the results were? Farrell unique easy path and special foot or Westalee rulers, or what do you suggest? I can free motion but this would be even more professional look.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Westalee has many rulers and YouTube videos on their ruler foot and rulers. They also show different ruler feet for different machines. I would go to their site and have a look around. They are excellent!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:54 PM

I like Westalee rulers. They have plenty of markings so you can get them lined up exactly how you want without having to spend a lot of time marking your quilt.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 09-15-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:14 PM

I have both and I purchased the mini ruler foot from Farrell ( a bit pricy at $55) If you are quilting on a domestic machine with a low shank foot, you will probably need the mini, as the most popular rulers are the larger ones, and if you have a small throat space on your machine, the larger sized rulers would be a problem for you to move around a small harp size. Also, you will have to be very careful using the Farrell mini rulers as they are on the fragil side, and don't have much in the way of markings. But, the one I like the most is this one http://stores.cscountrystitchin.com/mini-pe-swirls/. It makes a pretty design, after a little practice. But the quality for these thin rulers is not there.

Since I purchased a new machine with a high shank , I can use the thicker 1/4" rulers now, which I much prefer using to the 1/8" rulers. You have more to grab on to to keep it in place and there is not as much chance of hoping the ruler. If you are limited to getting the thinner rulers for a low shank, then I would suggest the Westalee rulers.

When using curved degigns, I really like the interior rulers. Meaning you quilt inside an enclosed area. Much easier than trying to go around the outside. You can still use the thicker 1/4" rulers, but you are restricted in using the back of your ruler foot with a low shank. As an example, this is a ruler I really enjoy using :https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's 3 pieces, so you can quilt in the interior or the exterior, giving you 5 sizes, but using the interior is much easier. You can also use the curve for other designs as well (not just flowers)

Last edited by Schill93; 09-15-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:03 AM

I have never used the Farrell rulers, but have had good luck and good service with the Westalee with both my domestic and mid arm machines.

The Westalee Starter Set, where you get the foot and the curve/straight edge ruler is my still my favourite ruler of all. They have great educational videos and good customer service and when I went to a midarm and sold a bunch of my domestic rulers, (and put the money toward more Westalee rulers for my mid arm) they held their value.

Watson
Old 09-16-2019, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I have never used the Farrell rulers, but have had good luck and good service with the Westalee with both my domestic and mid arm machines.

The Westalee Starter Set, where you get the foot and the curve/straight edge ruler is my still my favourite ruler of all. They have great educational videos and good customer service and when I went to a midarm and sold a bunch of my domestic rulers, (and put the money toward more Westalee rulers for my mid arm) they held their value.

Watson
So, I couldn't buy domestic rulers and also use them on a mid arm? (considering a mid arm)
Old 09-16-2019, 04:34 AM

When you buy rulers, be sure you are getting the ruler for either a domestic machine (regular sewing machine)--these rulers are thinner--perhaps 3/8" thick, or for a mid-arm or long-arm machine--those rulers are 1/4" thick. Westalee has many, many rulers designed for use with domestic machines. You need to purchase a ruler foot to use the rulers.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:49 AM

For domestic machines you can go to HSN and look in crafts and find a set of 3 6 in 1 rulers for under 50.00. They are good sided ones.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:32 AM

As nuffsaid, said...they are different thicknesses. If you have a highshank domestic machine, you may need 1/4" rulers which you would then use on your mid arm, but if you have a low shank, which is more common, then you would have to buy 1/4" height rulers for your midarm.

Just find a Westalee dealer and tell them what model of domestic machine you have and they will tell you exactly what foot and rulers height you need.

Watson
Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 AM

If I were you starting out with rulers, I would buy the Westalee starter set for your low shank machine, and then perhaps try one of the 1/4" multipurpose rulers like this one, which is not expensive and you can do multiple designs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just keep in mind you will only be able to use the thicker ruler in front or on the sides of your ruler foot, which usually is doable. This way you will get a feel for both without spending a great deal of money, and you will be able to use the 1/4" ruler should you get a mid arm machine.