Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you consider it "cheating" >

Do you consider it "cheating"

Do you consider it "cheating"

Old 02-25-2010, 02:22 PM

Well, all I can say is that this woman isn't welcome at my house.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-20685.jpe
Views:	72
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	20685  
Old 02-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Candace
I think many women are plain jealous of others who own these machines and can use them with the skill they do...including computer guided systems. I know I am!! What I'd do for a long arm!

Splitting hairs can keep going...maybe I'm cheating at being a good wife and mother by using a washer. Maybe I should be at the creek bashing clothes with rocks. Women are full of guilt because of the pressures we put on ourselves. Where do you draw the line? "Quilts aren't quilts that aren't all hand done." "Quilts aren't quilts unless you hand quilt them, but piecing on machines is o.k." "It's cheating if you piece and quilt on a machine." Then it's "cheating if the machine work is computerized but a long-arm is fine..." Everyone has an opinion and a preference I guess. It's a hobby and I'm going to try to collect the best and most expensive toys and have a heck of a time playing with them.
:lol: :lol:
Old 02-25-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I think many women are plain jealous of others who own these machines and can use them with the skill they do...including computer guided systems. I know I am!! What I'd do for a long arm!
I don't believe this is true for most. I think it is just a "preference", which is ok.

I think most of us on the board are always excited, supportive and happy and share in the joy when someone gets a new toy. And I mean toy in the nicest way. I call my new external hard drive my new toy.

For me personally I don't care as much for the look of a overall machine quilted quilt as I do for hand quilted, but that is just my preference. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate people that like doing machine quilting on computerized machines. Some people also just plain like the process of hand work. I love piecing on my Bernina, but hand quilt and applique, which I have been doing all day today.

I am a computer geek and have spent many hours on all types of computers, I also know what can go wrong with these machines that is not easily repaired or if it can be repaired the cost that is involved. Which actually I can afford but would rather spend money on other things, but that is also my preference. But like I say that is me and thats ok.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Pam 1966, I love it. :-D :lol:
Old 02-25-2010, 03:25 PM

It amazes me to see these machines. I saw a tutorial and all you do is select the pattern, tell the machine the corners of the block and the machine does everything to size and adjust it to be centered and gougeous.

I guess is not cheating unless there is a competition. It just adds more wood to the fire of the forever discussion of when can quilts be judge together or if a separate categoty must be made. I for one would not want to sit by machine and struggle with my huge quilt and be judge in the same group as someone who just "told" the machine what to do.

Besides the side of competition, as long as the quilt is finished, is fine with me. It opens the door to people with serious health conditions and can not stand for long periods of time or can not hold a needle due to arthritis, to be able to still call a quilt finished.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Hmmm - if you don't quilt your tops, how can you call yourself a quilter? A piecer, a patchworker yes, but a quilter no.

That is the cheating part - those who call themselves quilters, who never actually quilt.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Blockhead
Hmmm - if you don't quilt your tops, how can you call yourself a quilter? A piecer, a patchworker yes, but a quilter no.

That is the cheating part - those who call themselves quilters, who never actually quilt.
That's not really fair and I have to take exception to your statements. I don't like disagreeing with people, but in this case I have to speak up. Many of us, because of time constraints, or health issues (or both) simply cannot do the quilting. Not that I personally wouldn't like to, but it's near impossible. If that's cheating, then how can one say "I've done the laundry" when the clothes are put into a machine and said machine does all the work? Is that cheating? How can we say we've done the dishes, when in fact, a machine washed them? It goes on and on. I admire and respect those who do their own quilting whether on a machine or by hand. I think those of us who do not/ cannot ought not be judged!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Machine quilting is not cheating and this is comming form someone who hand quilts most of her quilts. I think that there are many different methods out there and hand quilting is one and so is machine quilting. Doing things different ways is what keeps life interesting,
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM

I think that's a bit harsh.

Most people who don't do this don't even know that there are two separate processes- making the quilt tops and then quilting them. They think of it as all lumped into one. I've posted pictures of quilt tops that I've done on Facebook, and later I've talked to someone and they ask about it- when I tell them I'm quilting it they say "Oh, I thought you were done!"

So even if someone NEVER actually does the quilting on a quilt top they've completed, I think it's perfectly okay for them to call themselves quilters.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter

That's not really fair and I have to take exception to your statements. I don't like disagreeing with people, but in this case I have to speak up. Many of us, because of time constraints, or health issues (or both) simply cannot do the quilting. Not that I personally wouldn't like to, but it's near impossible. If that's cheating, then how can one say "I've done the laundry" when the clothes are put into a machine and said machine does all the work? Is that cheating? How can we say we've done the dishes, when in fact, a machine washed them? It goes on and on. I admire and respect those who do their own quilting whether on a machine or by hand. I think those of us who do not/ cannot ought not be judged!
My statement was meant to be factual, not offensive or judgmental. I apologise to those who are offended. The laundry/dishes analogy is not relevant here, unless you label yourself a dishwasher or laundry worker. It's the label, not the process which is the issue for me.

I am a patchworker. I'm proud to be a patchworker and I aspire to one day being a quilter.

If I ever have someone else do the quilting on my pieced tops, it would not lessen my work on the quilt, but I would not be the quilter of that top. If I was to say I made the quilt, it would be true, if I say I quilted the quilt, it would be untrue.