Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt? >

Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt?

Is this thread safe to use for a toddler's twin sized bed quilt?

Old 09-18-2019, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
why would MonoPoly make this any more dangerous than any other thread? Am I missing something?
I was wondering the same thing.

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
The only thing you can't do is iron the poly thread with your iron on the hottest setting. It will melt the thread if the iron is too hot or left on the thread too long.
I have ironed MonoPoly many, many times on the hottest setting with absolutely no issues. I believe you're thinking of nylon thread, which will melt.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:42 AM

Thanks for all of your comments and sage advice. Regarding my question about safety, sorry for the confusion. I was concerned that the thread might wrap itself around a child's finger more easily than your typical cotton thread. I remember reading on this blog that nylon threads should not be used in baby quilts so little fingers could not be trapped and wrapped or entangled with the thread. Thank you again.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bibi View Post
I remember reading on this blog that nylon threads should not be used in baby quilts so little fingers could not be trapped and wrapped or entangled with the thread.
I honestly don't think nylon threads are any more likely than any other thread (or for that matter, any other textile, such as sleeper jammies or onesies) to come undone and get wrapped around a finger.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:52 AM

I've used invisible thread on a lot of quilts for kids. All have held up well and none of the kids have lost fingers/toes. When gifting any of my quilts, I remind the moms that, if they find loose threads, to clip them off in case I've missed any.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:35 AM

I use Superior Poly Invisible Thread a lot on my table runners. I also use it in my bobbin. I have ironed with a hot iron and have never had it melt. I wind the bobbin very slowly and have no problems using it both in the top thread and bobbin thread. My needle threader does not work, like Rhonda K says, but I just hand thread the needle like she does. I love this thread. I use 2 colors - I use the darker one on darker fabrics and the clear or lighter one on light fabrics. If I have both light and dark fabrics, I have found that the clear works best.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:28 AM

Thanks so much, I do feel relieved and happy to use it .
Old 09-20-2019, 04:33 AM

Maybe the finger/safety concern is bc if thinking it does not break as cotton would, combined with safety cautions over babies getting little fingers or toes wrapped in loose threads. I've seen recommendations that if you can't determine the reason for a baby crying, to check their fingers and toes for tight threads. It seems that if a baby or child is crying with pain, you'd be checking from top to bottom, but I guess not everyone does/has, so they've put this warning out. I wouldn't be any more concerned over it happening with poly than with any other thread.

If you're fiddling with a loose thread on a comforter, would the fiber content of that thread make any difference? It's just hanging there, so gets twirled. Some people do that with their hair.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:17 AM

Question: What's the difference in polyester clear thread and polyester colored thread? We hear the things about the missing fingers and toes when clear thread is discussed, but it never seems to come up when colored thread is discussed.

bkay
Old 09-20-2019, 06:23 AM

No. I would not risk it. The reason being is that it is strong. As with nylon thread, it does not like to break. If a thread comes loose, it will unravel but stay intact. So it can become a little noose for toes or fingers and if caught in it, it can cut off circulation. I would use it on many other projects, just not anything involving a child.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-20-2019 at 06:48 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-20-2019, 06:37 AM

I have heard of loose threads catching small fingers or toes while they are sleeping and causing damage, because it doesn't break easily. I would think twice about using it.