Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top >

Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top

Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top

Old 06-26-2016, 06:14 AM

I have not read the whole thread but I bet if there is an historical society or museum in the area they would love to have it.

I once reunited a family album quilt with a family member. It was over 100 years old. And this was in the pre-internet days!! I started out putting a post in the genealogy column of Yankee magazine.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:54 PM

Guys,

This is so amazing and interesting. I cannot wait to hear if you manage to contact any of the families of the original participants. Keep up the good work achancy - I wish you were here in England and could help me with my family tree.

Hugs

Caroline
Old 06-26-2019, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaY View Post
Paris Texas 1931 Friendship Quilt Top.......

I have had this quilt top for many years, and bought it at an antique store in Paris, Texas..... from a dealer. I'm hoping that somebody will recognize the names on it..
If you know of any of these folks still around Paris, I would love to hear from them. Thanks for all help!
Hi Brenda, Its been a few years now, wondered if you found family or kept the quilt? My guess is that this was a friendship quilt for Abie/Alcie Coplin/Copeland. A friend tells me that girls would get together and each would learn to make their own quilt have their friends and relatives sign a square or she would even write them in and then embroider them. If they needed more names they would go ahead and duplicate names.

One square says Aunt Rosa, and Rosa Siddle was Lukes sister. Another has just Evelyn and one of her sisters is named Evelyn. Mother could be Ela and Granny Coplin could be Eve Copeland, or Evie as another block was signed. That how she is listed on a tree by Tommies granddaughter. Tommie would be her cousin.

"If" my guess is correct and the unfinished quilt was Arlie's... Obituary of Arlie Coplin Anderson Oct 20 2008, Lamar Co., Tx.

Arlie Anderson, 92, of Brookston passed away Saturday, Oct. 18, 2008, at Paris Regional Medical Center.
Fry-Gibbs Funeral Home conducts graveside services at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 21, at Restland Cemetery in Roxton with Edgar Clements officiating. The family receives friends at the funeral home Monday from 7 to 8 p.m.

She was born April 15, 1916, in Roxton, a daughter of Luke and Ela Hawkins Coplin the eldest of six children. She married Thomas "Chill" Anderson Dec. 22, 1940, in Roxton. She was a homemaker and a member of the Methodist church. She was preceded in death by her husband, Thomas; a son-in-law, David Ferris; brothers, Jack and Jerry Coplin and a sister, Evelyn Bangs. Survivors include four children, Wanda Roberts and husband, Harold, of Honey Grove, Patsy Wilkins and husband, Bob, of Pecan Gap, Tommy Anderson and wife, Debbie, of Sherman and Nancy Ferris of Bennington, Okla.; grandchildren, Sharon Cagle, Carla Motley, Angie Hickman, Melissa Stafford, Annie Scriven; five great grandchildren; one great-great grandchild; a brother, Jim Coplin; a sister, Helen Melton and several nieces and nephews. Published October 20, 2008

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-26-2019 at 02:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-26-2019, 10:08 AM

Very awesome quilt. I sure hope you find some links of family members that are noted on these blocks. You really have a great historical quilt.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:47 PM
mim

I was given a quilt made by members of a church where my grandfather was pastor. It was a friendship quilt given to my grandmother signed by each member of the Dorcas Society ladies when they went to another church. I looked up the church which was no more. So I contacted the historical society in the town and they were thrilled. They made a ceremony of the donation and had grandchildren of the signers at the gathering. It was a wonderful time with stories of grandparents and parents.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

that is a wonderful quilt find.
of course, being a Texan, my first thought was Paris, Texas!
Old 06-27-2019, 06:27 AM

I did something similar for my parents 40th wedding anniversary. After they were gone, I donated it to the local museum for others to enjoy. I sent fabric squares to each & asked them to do something that would be a reminder of them to my parents.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 AM

What a wonderful piece of history.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Sometimes that type of quilt was made as a going away gift for local clergy, a graduate, or someone's wishing to be remembered by someone leaving the area.I would see if any church archives, or quilting groups, for records they may have. You can also contact local museums for mention of your quilt.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:19 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed reading each message about this quilt. My grandparents moved from Paris, Tx and I heard a lot of tales.
Evelyn