Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilt >

New quilt

New quilt

Old 09-26-2019, 07:49 AM

Have you tried Paper piecing? Quiltworx, Judy Neimeyer's website has some great patterns.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Have you tried Paper piecing? Quiltworx, Judy Neimeyer's website has some great patterns.
No I don't like paper piecing at all. I like to sew everything by hand, I find this so relaxing.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I read a good suggestion here years ago. Can’t remember who posted it. But when she wants to try a block without committing herself to a whole quilt, she makes the block in red, white and blue.

If she decides she likes making it and wants to make a whole quilt, she uses fabric in whatever colorway she has in mind. The red/white/blue block is added to her other practice blocks till she has a patriotic sampler made! Nothing wasted, and everything is coordinated instead of having a mish-mash of orphan blocks.
Thats's a great idea. I have to remember that one. I also have the habit of trying all kind of blocks, just for the fun of it.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by 1stitcher View Post
The quilt I'm currently working on is almost finished and already my thoughts are at the next one. The only problem is that I don't know what to make.

My patchwork of the crosses design by Lucy has given me such a great time. Any suggestions?
Go spend some time with your fabric. Let it tell you which ones to use and then find a pattern to highlight it. Get a cup of coffee and start looking for that pattern on the web. Happy searching.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1stitcher View Post
The quilt I'm currently working on is almost finished and already my thoughts are at the next one. The only problem is that I don't know what to make.

My patchwork of the crosses design by Lucy has given me such a great time. Any suggestions?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617871[/ATTACH]A nice lady from this board shared this quilt procedure, and I found it very easy to make and lot of fun and interesting when completed, it is made in rows, but when completed looks like it was made in a square. I am not at home presently, but I think it was about 80 inches x 90 inches in size.
each block is 6 inch x 6 inch, with a 1/4 if a circle cut from the top right corner, and that part of the square was then sewn onto another block, then to finish off that block you add another circle from one of the other 6 x 6 squares, and then make a binding to cover up the stitching line, then you sew the completed blocks in a row, then sew all the rows together, add on a border and my final border I made it scalloped.

There were 14 rows, in all - just watch which direction you place the circle on each block to get the same effect as my quilt showed.

If you click on the picture, you will get a larger picture to look at. If you decide to make this quilt, you can easily use fat quarters. I cut all my bias pieces on the bias, so they are easy to sew onto the circle, I sewed the inside of the bias on first, then top stitched down the outside of the circle piece. I used a yard of fabric for the bias strips and the outside binding on the outside border. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance, should you decide to do this quilt. It is still my favourite quilt that I have made.

The 7 and 8 rows you would place your 1/4 of the circles, so they form a complete circle.
My rows were 6 blocks with the corner circle facing the right side, then the next 6 blocks facing the left side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt - daisy - June 2014.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	617871  
Old 09-27-2019, 09:49 AM

I like to do EPP and have a Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses in progress........have you looked at other quilts made by Lucy Boston? I aim intrigued by several of her quilts and will probably move on to another of hers when I a done.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mumto2 View Post
I like to do EPP and have a Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses in progress........have you looked at other quilts made by Lucy Boston? I aim intrigued by several of her quilts and will probably move on to another of hers when I a done.
I love her High magic patchwork quilt very much. Which one do you prefer? Her Keyboard quilt resembles a bit to the patchwork of the crosses.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:02 PM

What about the Dear Jane quilt?? If you like hand quilting, it's perfect.Could you post a picture of the Patchwork of Crosses please.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:55 PM

I just finished a quilt that was a 'just for fun' kind of a quilt to take my mind off quilts that require much more attention. Doing this little quilt was fun and quick and a learning experience. Now I am back to working on quilts that have a purpose. I have a King size quilt that I am working on for our bed. Two graduation quilts that require a whole lot of attention, a lap quilt and a full size quilt that is another just for fun project. Those that have a designated purpose also require a lot of time and exacting work. The graduation quilts are the ones that should be finished first since the event has already happened.
Doing a quilt for fun has been just that just for fun and one that I will keep for myself. No pressure on this one. Just fun.