Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Embroidery Thread VS Trilobal Thread VS ? >

Embroidery Thread VS Trilobal Thread VS ?

Embroidery Thread VS Trilobal Thread VS ?

Old 10-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post

I'd like to try glide thread for my bobbins, but I can only find pre-wound bobbins and my machine has a proprietary bobbin that isn't L, M, or 15.

So in using these threads for quilting, you think they would be fine for bobbins? Is that for both piecing and quilting, or just quilting? I do press with a very hot iron while I'm piecing. They are also very shiny. I guess the only way to check out how I like them on cotton is to try them. After all, $6 for 20 or so spools is a lot less than what I paid for my cone of So Fine.
Yes, you can use the glide in the bobbin and wind your own. I have used embroidery thread (Floriani, Exquisite, Brother in the bobbin without issues.

I like the smaller cones of glide. Easier for storage and I can buy more colors. LOL.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Thanks Rhonda, here's a thread question I can look up or ask here or do a combination.

As I understand it, cotton threads do have a right/wrong way. So when you thread a needle, you want to leave the thread on the spool and not cut the thread first and thread from the cut end. It helps keep thread from tangling, all I know is I've always been bad at handwork and it used to be worse before I made sure to always thread as it comes from the spool.

Now this part I'm not so sure about, and that is you shouldn't use the spool rule on a bobbin because a bobbin is essentially backwards. It's ok with a machine because it's basically just going in a straight line but again will tangle more with hand sewing.

And then part 3, I'm thinking this is all about the nature of cotton fibers and how they are spun, so it wouldn't necessarily hold true with the trilobal, but I believe they are also spun, but more like microfibers than cotton.

There's always new stuff for me to learn about the greater world of textiles! I've only really been interested in thread for about the last 5 years, but I've got decades of experience with Dual Duty!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:51 PM

Hi, Watson - while i haven’t done any thread painting or embroidery, i do use the trilobal thread for FMQ and its great!

I used to be an Aurifil only girl, but tried Glide 40wt and im hooked! I use it on both my Janome 6600 and my sitdown longarm with wonderful results. I recently joined a thread of the month club on Bold Notion Quilting - saves you 20% with the club. I just started the pre-wound bobbin club also. Thread is expensive... helps to save where you can and i am really impressed with the Glide thread. Just my two cents 😊
Old 10-09-2019, 02:26 AM

Wow. Tish...that jacket is beautiful.

So, from what I'm understanding, regular machine embroidery thread is fine for threadpainting, Trilobal is better and some people (Joyce Hughes who I will be taking a class from in November) use cotton.

Also, Feline Fanatic..did you see that your manufacturer for thread seems to be not going to carry that thread anymore? It's all on sale and they aren't getting more. Might be a good time to stock up!

Watson
Old 10-09-2019, 03:03 AM

Gorgeous work.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:49 AM

And, just to throw another into the mix...what about rayon?

Watson
Old 10-09-2019, 06:10 AM

I don't do thread painting but have used my embroidery threads for quilting with no issues. Even have used my metallic threads for quilting too. Think my latest collection of embroidery thread from BFCreation is trilobal but I might be wrong.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
And, just to throw another into the mix...what about rayon?

Watson
Rayon thread would be fine for wallhangings. It is a weak thread and really not suitable for quilting when used in a utility quilt. It also has a reputation for not being colorfast. I have used rayon thread before I knew any different and it behaved fine for me and liked the results. Unfortunately I can't say if it held up because I donated the quilt. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't use it in something that is going to get hard use like a bed quilt, throw quilt or kids quilt, but for a wallhanging, tablerunner or placemats I would. Wonderfil has some gorgeous specialty threads that have rayon in them but they are mostly decorative threads so one would not be inclined to use them in a utility type quilt.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post

Also, Feline Fanatic..did you see that your manufacturer for thread seems to be not going to carry that thread anymore? It's all on sale and they aren't getting more. Might be a good time to stock up!

Watson
They have always priced it like that to make it look like it is on sale at a closeout price. I didn't see anything on their website that indicated they were discontinuing it. It is made in China. They only started carrying Glide in the last year or so.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:56 AM

I use Isacord thread exclusively and have for over 10 years. I love it. I don't have any problems with it. I use it for piecing, thread painting, embroidery and quilting. I love the sheen it has and the durability. It is reasonable priced for me. I personally don't like Aurifil. It's very expensive and I find my machines don't like it. I have Brother, Juki and Janome machines. But, this is only my personal opinion.