Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I  bought  some  glue >

I bought some glue

I bought some glue

Old 10-09-2019, 12:25 PM

You want the school glue it washes out when you wash your quilt.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by AprilM View Post
A question... has anybody used the Elmers glue sticks? This just gave me an idea to help my DIL as she is learning to piece. The pins seem to be worrisome to her so she overcompensates in the seam area before removing the pins. I cringe but i can see what she is trying to accomplish with her work around! Might make it a little easier till she gets a little more experience.
I use the glue sticks for a lot of quilting things especially matching patterns in seams as in this Kaffe backing, so it should help your DIL It is easy to use and if you need to remove it, a damp cloth removes a lot of it. You don't need a lot - but I do give it a quick press to dry it out when I am in a hurry before sewing.

This is how precise you can get with only it and no pins ...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618352[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Seam_sm.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	618352  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

For Roxanne's, you pay for the bottle with great tip. Then you buy the less expensive refill bottle and use the same tip cap. Or you can refill with Elmer's.

Dierdra McElroy (Roxanne's daughter) invented Roxanne's Basting Glue. She is an award winning hand quilter and in hand applique so the difference must be in those applications where the glue is used.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:08 AM

McElroy did not invent the glue. She may have designed the bottle/tip, but the glue was and is manufactured by a glue company that specializes in water based glues like Elmer's. After the sale of Glue Baste it...Ms McElroy stated in public, that the glue was, indeed, just like Elmer's glue. I met with the company that manufactured the glue. It is water based, and they are particular about the water they use....no salt, chemicals etc. They filter all of their water sever times before making the glue itself. Roxanne Products Company is no longer in business. Not sure who purchased them several years ago. I am glad for the bottles and tips! will keep filling with Elmer's.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:22 PM

My understanding is the glue should be washable. You want to get it out after it has served its purpose. Otherwise the quilt could have stiff spots. I am just finishing up a quilt design that recommended washable glue sticks. It did do the job and it does wash out.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:10 PM

Not too long ago someone mentioned Aleene's fabric glue to add cute little things to wall hangings. I was in Michael's the other day and discovered such a complete line of glues I could not believe it.
Had been looking for a glue for wood and for a small few bought a bottle that worked perfectly. Gotta say I really love you guys. I have learned so much!
Old 10-10-2019, 04:17 PM

I only use Elmer's washable school glue. I even use it to sandwich king size quilts for FMQ.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:19 PM

Calran... i’m trying to get brave enough to do that! I currently use Hobbs Fusible batting.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:06 PM

I use Elmers School Glue & it works the best for binding (no pins)... use a dry iron to set it... washes out like was never there
Old 10-10-2019, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Remember, Roxanne glue is Elmer's.....Love the Roxanne needle tip....but always refill with Elmers, the Roxanne glue is way too expensive for what it truly is. I purchased the bottle/tip, but always use the Elmers in it.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. I have both but Elmer's is a lot cheaper.