Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who Recycles Clothes On Here >

Who Recycles Clothes On Here

Who Recycles Clothes On Here

Old 02-04-2019, 05:52 AM

I use jeans for aprons
Old 02-04-2019, 06:39 AM

I really like scrap quilts so I use a lot of recycled clothing and sheets. I am very lucky in that our local historical society holds flea markets all summer long with proceeds going to maintaining the buildings and grounds. With clothing prices at .25 across the board for clothing and sheets not much more, it's a double win for me.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by craft View Post
Fabric and supplies are hard for me to get that's why I was thinking about using clothes to make my quilts. I make quilts for local churches around me for babies, toddlers, children and for senior citizens who are shut-ins. This winter in Michigan has been really cold.
Go for it, especially when you are doing such a great thing for others. It can get expensive and I'm sure anyone cold wouldn't care where you got the fabric just that you were generous enough to do it and give it away.
I do, mostly for remaking into other garments but there's lots of things you can do with them. Some times something at the thrift store is worth buying just for the buttons or other accessories that's on it. Great thing you are doing.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:43 PM

At least half of my stash is from deconstructed clothing, sheets, curtains, and bed skirts. I look for 100% cotton but if the feel is really good, I might let in something with 25-30% poly. One of my favorite to use is nurses' scrubs as they usually are very good quality fabric and have lots of variety in the prints. I shop our 4 local thrift shops and generally only buy things that are on the 50% off color tags.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:36 PM

Love goodwill for my jeans and flannel shirts. My grandson was very happy with his quilt. Very heavy. I go through the womens dresses and have picked up many denim dresses that are very easy to use.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:53 PM

One of my boys' favorite quilts was made from mens' plaid cotton pj pants. I bought the PJ's and whacked them off to make sleeping shorts. (Live in Arizona). I took all the cutoff legs and made a quilt, a dust ruffle and valance from them.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Have you ever gone to a Goodwell Outlet or aka The Bins?
I 'dive' the bins, fairly often. Got tons of pretty baby clothes that way, recently. I was looking for jeans, but found just about everything else.

I have made many quilts out of shirt plaids. I just love those quilts. The shirt fabric is so soft and cozy. I've dug many a nice 2or3X shirt out of the bins!
Old 10-13-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
The book sounds like something I’d read, do you wish to share the title ?
The books were by Grace Thompson - a series called "Holidays at Home".
Book 1 - Wait Till Summer
Book 2 - Swingboats on the Sand
Book 3 - Waiting for Yesterday
Book 4 - Day Trippers
Book 5 - Unwise Promises
Book 6 - Street Parties
Each book focuses on a different set of characters although the same characters interact throughout all the books. I read them without interruption and by the time I was at book 6 it was beginning to feel a bit like a marathon, although I was kind of sad to see the end.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:57 PM

I was wondering if anyone on here recycles clothes for the fabric to make your quilts and other craft items. Where do you find clothes to use and what do you look for?
For a long time I have been an admirer of Bonnie Hunter. I especially like what she does with men's shirts. Many times I have bought shirts that I wanted to cut up for quilts, put them in the wash and soon saw them walk past me on my husbands back. He often folds and puts away the laundry, so I guess he just thought the shirts were for him.
Check out Bonnie Hunter's site at Quiltville.