Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do? >

What to do?

What to do?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 PM

I made a picture out of the last card my dad sent me. I cut it in half and used a photo machine to make a unified photograph of the sides I wanted to see. It's in a frame now.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM
dsj

Karielt, the quilt you made in memory of your dad is great. The colors are wonderful. I think it is a sweet thing to do.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 PM
dsj

Elaine, I am sorry to hear about the passing of your husband and that your daughter is struggling with it. I will keep your family in our prayers. You have asked a sensitive question and you have received lots of good advice. Memory quilts can be such a lovely way to celebrate someones life, I think they are very sweet and can be very comforting. I hope you and your daughter will come to terms on this soon.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:58 AM

Actually my daughter asked me last night about the quilt. We talk about what we both wanted so what we decided that I will make two wall hanging. She said she rather if I do that the make one quilt. She also gave me another idea. She said maybe I could maybe add something from my parents too. I really like that idea.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:35 AM
dsj

Wow! what a great idea, I am glad she is feeling better about it. Have fun creating.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 AM

you can use any type of matrial you wish.I have a bunch of flanell shirts that were given to me at i'm going to make a quilt out of.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Elaine Hewes
My daughter is 28 years old, but I live with her. My husband passed away in October of 2008. At the time my mother also passed away. They passed about week from each other and around my daughter and oldest son's birthday. My husband never wrote much, but he did make me one valentine card when my youngest son was about 4 years old and I still have it maybe I can use it somehow.
(((((HUG)))))
Old 02-26-2010, 07:24 AM

I want to make a memory quilt using my late husband's clothes, but my daughter doesn't want me to. She just to throw them away. I think she trying to forget about her father completely. I also need to know what is the best pattern to use in making the memory quilt. Thank you all in advance!
Elaine,

I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband. I don't know the best advice for how to handle the situation with your daughter not wanting you to make the quilt, but I definitely would advise you against throwing them away! If she doesn't live with you, I think I'd go ahead and make it and just not have it around until she's ready to see it. If she does live with you, maybe hold off? I don't know. But in any event, hugs to you.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Actually my daughter asked me last night about the quilt. We talk about what we both wanted so what we decided that I will make two wall hanging. She said she rather if I do that the make one quilt. She also gave me another idea. She said maybe I could maybe add something from my parents too. I really like that idea.

Whatever you do ... DOCUMENT It!!! So someone else will know all the love that wnet into whatever you do. Then it is truly a 'memory quilt.'
Old 02-26-2010, 03:25 PM

People "move on" in different ways....
Make a quilt for yourself and don't let your daughter see it during your quilting time. She may think you are too sentimental by keeping his clothing...So many people try to HELP others but don't really speak their thoughts. Misconceptions seem to be what life is all about. Keep it personally for you to celebrate your loving relationship with your husband.
In any case, I saw a beautiful quilt made up of nine inch squares and each square contained the shirt pocket of a man's shirt. In the squares and on the sashing, the buttons from the shirts "floated" around. Since the shirts were all light colors and the sashing was light, it was a very gentle looking quilt. The quilt was actually for the quilter's mother's 80th birthday so the quilter made little muslin "hankies" for each pocket and friends and family wrote birhtday wishes on them! It was so lovely. The back was heavy muslin so people could write on that as well
( with special pens of course.) My daughter's police partner died last year, 31 years old, and I will be making a quilt for his mother using his shirts. It is a lovely way to hold on to the beauty of someone.