Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Temporarily enlarged design wall >

Temporarily enlarged design wall

Temporarily enlarged design wall

Old 10-13-2019, 03:10 AM

yes! insulation boards, not drywall boards, oops. my error. thanks. the insulation boards are super light, not sure why I got mixed up! :-)
Old 10-13-2019, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
yes! insulation boards, not drywall boards, oops. my error. thanks. the insulation boards are super light, not sure why I got mixed up! :-)
Well, they are both big boards. Easy to get mixed up.

Dina
Old 10-13-2019, 08:53 PM

When I bought my insulation board for my design wall I had them cut in thirds and took them home in my car. Then I taped them back together when I got home. Duct tape is my friend.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:42 PM

Very pretty design and colors. Please don't forget to post a completed quilt.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
When I bought my insulation board for my design wall I had them cut in thirds and took them home in my car. Then I taped them back together when I got home. Duct tape is my friend.
Thank you! I can do this!!

Dina
Old 10-14-2019, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
great idea!
Old 10-14-2019, 06:25 AM

When you outgrow that design wall you can get command hooks, binder clips, and a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth to hang over the closet doors. It's portable and can be removed when needed. Good luck with your great quilt!
Old 10-14-2019, 12:06 PM

I have the insulation design board too, but I couldn't fit the 4" wide one in my car so I bought 2 of the 2' wide and Duck taped them together so I could have them open 4' and the fold them down to 2' to put in front of my closet. My sewing room is roughly 10'x10' so I don't have any open wall space. Also my ceiling is 7' not 8' in my room, so they cut a l' off for me at Lowes. I usually make lap quilts and baby quilts, so I didn't need it any bigger until I made a Queen size quilt for my daughter. So I made another set and my son made me some large U channel's so I can hold them together. Works great. But a plate rack you hang on the wall will also work. So when I am done, I fold each put them side by side in front of my closet, now they are each 2' = 4' across the doors and I cover it with a tablecloth. When I use both they measure 8' wide and 7' high, I put the quilt on sideways, it worked out great, no more bending over the bed. I can add pic's if you need them.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:43 PM

If you have sliding doors my friend covered the doors with flannel, they still slid back and forth.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jerseyrayne View Post
I have the insulation design board too, but I couldn't fit the 4" wide one in my car so I bought 2 of the 2' wide and Duck taped them together so I could have them open 4' and the fold them down to 2' to put in front of my closet. My sewing room is roughly 10'x10' so I don't have any open wall space. Also my ceiling is 7' not 8' in my room, so they cut a l' off for me at Lowes. I usually make lap quilts and baby quilts, so I didn't need it any bigger until I made a Queen size quilt for my daughter. So I made another set and my son made me some large U channel's so I can hold them together. Works great. But a plate rack you hang on the wall will also work. So when I am done, I fold each put them side by side in front of my closet, now they are each 2' = 4' across the doors and I cover it with a tablecloth. When I use both they measure 8' wide and 7' high, I put the quilt on sideways, it worked out great, no more bending over the bed. I can add pic's if you need them.
I would love to see pictures! I am finishing up my "half" sewing room (using half of spare room also set up for grandkids to sleep in when they visit). I'm loving the function in my small space, but the one thing I'm missing is a design wall, so I'm looking at ways to have one that is decent size but easy to set up only when I need it. I'm lacking wall space for a permanent one as well.