Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm solutions for vision impaired? >

Long arm solutions for vision impaired?

Long arm solutions for vision impaired?

Old 10-15-2019, 04:55 AM

Thank you to everyone who offered solutions! I was actually able to use the hummingbird to thread the needle!
Old 10-15-2019, 05:08 AM

So happy it worked for you! Isn't it nice when it is a cheap and easy solution?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:12 AM

Thank you all for suggestions and ideas for those of us who have vision issues, I sew with the face close to stuff, use touch a lot and pray an awful lot!!����
Old 10-15-2019, 08:43 AM

Istace,

I only deal with being near sighted and astigmatism, but I had gotten to the point I could not thread the needle on my old sewing machine. I had to take the needle out, hold it 3 inches in front of my face (without glasses), then put the threaded needle back in the machine, hoping I did not twist the thread around it as I went.

I have the little bird needle threader and I use it when I am doing EPP. I also have one of these gizmos https://singer-featherweight.com/blo...eedle-threader It works very well for threading my sewing machine.

However, as you are dealing with serious vision impairment, please try out as many LA machines as you can and if possible find a place that will rent you time on a machine before taking the plunge.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:13 AM

Tothill, thank you for your reply! I have taken a class to learn to use an HQ longarm where they do rent time on them. However, even though using the little bird did help me thread that needle, I'm not rushing out to buy a longarm just yet! It would be a huge expense and I don't know that my eyes won't get worse as time goes on. Thankfully, they've been stable for a few years now but certainly no guarantees that will continue. In the meantime, I will concentrate on perfecting my quilting on my domestic machines before worrying about needing something more!