Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I quit or just give away. >

Should I quit or just give away.

Should I quit or just give away.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 AM

Default Should I quit or just give away.

I have been trying to sell a few of my quilts and I have done pretty good. I am thinking of giving my baby quilts, lap quilts either to a homeless shelter or the nursing home. Sometimes I just think I will quit. My husband thinks I should not give anything away since I put so much times in each one. He is not selfish but thinks I have worked to hard to just give away. Do you all keep a bunch of your quilts, sell them or give away. I am needing to get rid of some. Thank you all in advance. Love this group.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:58 AM

I quilt and give away - to a children’s hospital charity and a local cancer charity.

I have enjoyed quilting for the last few years but we only have one of my quilts - a small throw - on the bed in our spare bedroom. We do not use a quilt on our bed nor do we have throws or cushions on our sofa or chairs as my husband doesn’t like them.

Quilting is my hobby. I would rather give my completed projects away than store them in a cupboard.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:06 AM

I am much happier giving them away. I look at it as it's my hobby and I spend happy hours making quilts. The fact that it is usable is a perk to my hobby.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:17 AM

I have kept a few of my quilts and gave some to friends/relatives. I've also made several for Quilts of Valor. I too consider quilting a hobby that I really enjoy, so I don't mind giving them away.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:31 AM

The majority of my quilts have been given as gifts to loved ones. I keep a few for myself. Every room in the house has at least one of my quilts. Quilts that I have sold were special orders. The client chose a pattern, colors and even fabrics I had the joy of making the quilt. I have a habit of making a duplicate of most of the quilts I sold only because I was in love with the pattern.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Oh i'm slow now but have given away most of the quilts I've made over the years. Some to friends but others to charity for those who need them.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:51 AM

I honestly don't make a lot of quilts---but I sew for a few different charities. Chemo centers love small quilts--it's always so cold there. Homeless shelters---veterans hospitals.....it gives such a sense of pride & satisfaction to give to those less fortunate. Makes me count my blessings!
Old 10-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I quilt for the joy of quilting. Quilts bring joy to others. Life has been good to me and I'm giving back now that I have the wherewithal to do so. I guess you and your DH will have to come to an agreement for a happy home.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:06 AM

I have sold some quilts, but I don't quilt to sell. I am afraid that I would feel frustrated and want to give up. I sew and donate most of my quilts.. then others are gifted. If i can sell some that's cool, but I don't expect that
Old 10-20-2019, 11:07 AM

It is the process of quilting I enjoy, I give away far more than I keep. Look at it this way, we do not need to be paid to perform in order to enjoy singing. Quilting is something I do for joy and for me attaching a monetary value to it would spoil the experience.