Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Table-Against the wall or >

Machine Table-Against the wall or

Machine Table-Against the wall or

Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 AM

My set up is against the wall with the window, I like to look out over the yard and watch the swallows when they are here. Then I have a short table perpendicular to that, if I'm piecing, I have a cutting mat on it to square up as I go. Ironing board has been lowered so I can sit while I press those long chains of piecing and is behind the sewing table so I have to get up and move around once in awhile.

Dad always had to be the one sitting with his back to the wall within sight distance of the door so he could assess the situation!

LOL!!! My DH, a retired State Trooper, still does this even after being retired for over 18 years. He says he doesn't want to be caught unawares if something happens. When he's not with me, I take over the door watching.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:15 PM

My sewing/cutting table is rectangular with the short side near the wall so it's more like a peninsula than an island. I don't have to worry about tripping on any cords, and there is access to 3 sides of the table. And that saves wall space for cabinets to store more stuff!
Old 10-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Too funny, Quilter 53! Yes, my baby brother is retired law enforcement - he actually “dropped in” to my workplace one time to make sure my desk was positioned where he thought it should be (back against the wall/facing the door)! It kinda whacked him out a few years later when we put on an addition to the back of the office. My bosses had to reassure my overprotective baby brother that “nobody-but-nobody” would be coming in the back door ever unless we were all moved to the addition! Brother stops in once in a while and the bosses have never let him live that one down!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:42 PM

I have 2 sewing tables on wheels, so I have tried a couple setups. My last version was back to back, so that there was a large area in the middle to support a quilt from either machine. Functionally, it was great, but I missed being able to glance up at the TV from one of the machines. So I am now trying end to end, floating down the center of the room. TV sight is perfect from both machines, and it gives me more open wall space for storage options, but I miss the other arrangement with quilt support. I underestimated how important this is.

My cutting table is also on wheels. I leave it against the wall until I need to walk around it for basting a quilt.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:42 PM

Most of my machine tables are against the wall mostly because of my room layout. I have a table that is perpendicular to the wall the I put one of my featherweights on sometimes to piece. I FMQ on my Juki 2200 QVP Mini and have it setting in the center of the room on a table that has an extension and with another large table behind it to support the quilt.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:29 AM

I have my table angled across the corner of the room. I have the extra space I need at the back of the table for a quilt to hang or puddle without taking up much more floor space than it would pushed up to a wall.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:51 AM

I like all the great ideas for the tables set-up. Lots of options depending on how we like to sew or quilt. I have some basic room re-do first; paint, shades, and valances. Then we can get to fun stuff.

Thanks again for sharing your table set-ups and the pictures are so helpful too. The cover will be just the ticket for any cords.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:09 AM

Mine is right in front of a large window with plenty of natural light
Old 10-22-2019, 03:51 AM

Wow, JMoore. Your sewing studio is fabulous.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:41 AM

Due to space I have my 2 tables against the wall right at the corner, added a spacer table between the 2 for the corner so whatever I'm working on will float over it instead of dropping down. I got rid of the 2nd machine so keep my wool pressing mat and cutting mat there instead. Its not ideal especially when working on a large project but don't have much room these days. I enlarged my cutting table in the other room and have it in the middle with just enough room to walk around it to get to the design wall. Right now I have 60+ partially filled bolts leaning up again the back wall so makes it a bit difficult to get to the design wall from one side. So much for thinking this space would be large enough once upon a time.