Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Address Labels - attached to a card that went with a gift >

Address Labels - attached to a card that went with a gift

Address Labels - attached to a card that went with a gift

Old 10-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Default Address Labels - attached to a card that went with a gift

Do you think it is a good idea - or a very tacky idea - to attach an address label from the giver to the card that went with the gift?
Old 10-21-2019, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I think it's a great idea. It would make it much easier for the recipient to send a thank you. (hmmm, maybe include a blank thank you card and a self-addressed envelope with postage added, for those friends/relatives who can't seem to find the time to acknowledge a gift?)
Old 10-21-2019, 03:49 PM

I think it's a good idea. Seems like these days people are trying to find any excuse to not send a thank you (like...I didn't have your address). I'm still a firm believer in thank you cards via the mail instead of email thank you's or phone, text, voice mail thank you's. If a person went out of their way to buy or make a gift for me, it's the very least I can do to acknowledge the gift with a thoughtful thank you note.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:48 PM

Great idea! There is always someone writing the name and the gift at parties. The address makes it extra easy. Unfortunately, today's situations, if you get thanked in person at the party, most will not acknowledge with an extra note. I have had to track down quilts thru the mail, just to see if they arrived.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 PM

I may get some flack, but I feel that if I have given a person a thank you in person I do not need to follow it up with a note.

If I receive a gift in the mail, I will more likely phone the giver and have a nice conversation when I thank them.

The etiquette of writing thank you notes stems from a time when pen and paper was the primary method of communication, telephone calls especially long distance were frightfully expensive. Now I can call all across Canada with out paying long distance fees. I can call the US for 4 cents a minute.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:35 AM

I think a written thank you is always best even if you receive a thank you in person or by phone. My youngest niece who lives in Houston across the state, has 3 little ones now, a 5 yr. old, a 2 yr. old and a two week old. DH and I don't have any grandchildren our two children are both single adults and will probably never have children, so these 3 little ones are like grandchildren. I'm always sending quilts, and other gifts. My niece usually calls and the children thank us over the phone, but she always follows up with a hand written note of thanks and scribbles or hand outline of the little ones. These mean so much to us. Her half brother and half sister never set thank you notes for anything they or their children received and often didn't bother to call. My two children were taught to write thank you notes and usually send DH and I notes for gifts from us. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I was always taught to send a written note.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-22-2019 at 02:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-22-2019, 03:27 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about including an address label with a gift. Particularly for say wedding/shower gifts. If they had your address to send you an invitation, they know your address.

I will say, I very much appreciate the handwritten thank you notes I have received. While, yes, the practice started because pen/paper were the only/primary methods of communication, I think it's a tradition/courtesy that should be continued. Depending on the 'gift'. If I pick up a doodad for someone I know simply because I think they will like/use it I don't expect a written thank you. If I make a quilt/other handmade gift or some other substantial (wedding) gift, I think it's appropriate for the recipient to take the time to write a thank you note.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:40 AM

I still love to get a note for gifts I mail. It is such fun to find something in my mailbox not asking for money or advertising something. As for the address label, I wouldn’t find it offensive. Would “Miss manors” approve? Probably not.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:12 AM

Maybe it's just me but if I had to send a stamped self addressed envelope along with a gift, I may as well write the thank you and mail it to myself. I agree today's world is not a written world, except for text messages. As long as the recipient acknowledges the gift does it really mater what form it comes in? I will accept a thank you anyway it arrives. It's better than none at all. If I don't receive an acknowledgement of a gift they are not on my subsequent gift list however.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:52 AM

to help the person logging the gifts? yes.
if in expectation of a written thank you, don't bother. many people in the shower gift age range don't have envelopes or stamps. just isn't part of their life experience, they do things electronically.