Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best filling for pincushions? >

What is the best filling for pincushions?

What is the best filling for pincushions?

Old 10-21-2019, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I bought some emery for pincushions but it was too fine. I think they have some that would work better though. (coarser)
Old 10-22-2019, 03:46 AM

I have only used walnut shells but will explore some of the suggestions shown here. Thanks!��
Old 10-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I think this is the very best cushion (for the pins) I've ever used. Granted, it's not one you've made, but because of the density of it and the lanolin in the natural wool, I really think I'll use one of their Very Ewesful Too cushions as the base when I begin making pincushions from some vintage linens I have. https://www.ewesful.com/ewesful.html

Jan in VA
Old 10-23-2019, 03:58 AM

I have a couple of pin cushions gifted to me that have rice in them. I've had them for years and still going strong.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I have one that Jan in Va showed and it's a great pincushion. In fact, it's my favorite one.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:11 AM

Seen this suggestion many time: dryer lint. If I was using this, I would also save the used dryer sheet and use both in the pin coushion. Actually I had some lint saved, but absentminded me tossed it. Now to start saving again.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:30 AM

Default Rice is best!

Originally Posted by Nonnie4 View Post
I have done a few pin cushion swaps and was wondering what you all use for filling. The polyfill seems to squishy. Is there a heavier cotton version you like to give it a bit more weight?
I found long grain rice to be the best. Found a pattern for a setting hen and made a whole flock for my quilting group and we all just love them.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 AM

Like Jan, my favorite pincushion is the Ewesful. Have had it for many years. I also use wool in the pincushions I make seems to be the best for the pins.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:56 AM
Power Poster

The only stuffing I use now for pincushions is poly beads. The beads add weight and do not hold moisture. I use stainless steel pins so no rusting in any of my pin cushions. Ever cut open a very old tomato pin cushion and see the pins stuck inside? If old enough no rusted pins at all. The pins use to made from stainless steel.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:40 AM

i reinforce fabric made pincushions with woven iron-on interfacing. fill base w walnut shells for weight, top off with polyfil. if for special friend i also add a "strawberry" at top filled with emery powder for needles. be sure that you check with potential recipients re: nut allergy. if a problem, try fish tank sand.
besides the stopping porosity of fabric weave allowing migration of walnut shells, sand or whatever granular filler you use, the interfacing helps re-inforce seams if tightly stuffed with polyfil.
also ...for any pincushion that needs to stay upright, i place one or two round (or whatever shape of base) circles of light cardboard before adding shells. i use the cardboard of cereal boxes, backs of tablets ...whatever have at hand.