Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit down long arm quilting >

Sit down long arm quilting

Sit down long arm quilting

Old 10-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

There's very little information available on that site, and I couldn't find much information anywhere else. I don't know what they mean by "automatic" but if you're looking for robotic quilting, this doesn't provide it.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:07 PM

I do have a sitdown longarm. It doesnt have a stitch regulator, but i do have needle up/down as an accessory i requested when i ordered my machine. My machine does not have feed dogs.
I love FMQ and am now learning to work with rulers.

Just my thoughts, but i am thinking if there ever came a time that i wanted a computerized setup that i would probably just sell my sitdown machine and get a completely computerized standup longarm system? I really dont have room for a full blown longarm setup - which would also certainly cost more than the base price of $4,600.00 i paid for my sitdown machine (before adding accessories, supplies, and a saddle stool).

My understanding regarding installing a stitch regulator on a sitdown longarm is that if you have already been successfully doing FMQ prior to getting the regulator you might not like it at all. I am told in that circumstance - where you have already developed a feel and timing for FMQ - that the addition of a stitch regulator may well feel awkward and frustrating. As i said, i dont have one, but i think i can understand not being happy with one if you have already learned to quilt without it?

I am probably not understanding the question, so i apologize right off the bat for that! But with sitdown machines you move the quilt - not the machine. So other than maybe needle up/down or possibly a stitch regulator if that is your preference, i am not sure of the further benefit of a computer. I am totally willing to admit that maybe i just might need to be enlightened cuz i certainly dont know everything!

My goal with a sitdown longarm was to get more height and depth in the harp and to have the machine facing me. I had been doing FMQ on my domestic home sewing machine for years and was totally frustrated with the lack of harp space. I also really didnt want to keep abusing my sewing machine for fear of pushing it beyond its intended limits!
Old 10-16-2019, 07:09 PM

Have you seen the new Handi Quilter Capri? It's a sit down longarm that has stitch regulation built into the table. I can't wait to see how that works.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Gay

Looking at the vid on youtube, the computer seems only to give zigzag stitching, and probably controls tension, foot pressure, stitch width & such. You cannot do automatic designs. I don't know if you can lower the feed dogs for manual quilting, but the video looked impressive. There are a few comments on their facebook page. The table is included, but you will need to sit in front of the needle, not to the right of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FnvZw40iSI
Old 10-17-2019, 04:54 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Have you seen the new Handi Quilter Capri? It's a sit down longarm that has stitch regulation built into the table. I can't wait to see how that works.
Innova's had that for years on their sit down. They even have Lightning Stitch as an option on a sit-down.

I also saw that Juki now has stitch regulation built into their table on the J-350QVP sit down.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:28 AM

I bought my Babylock Tiara sitdown, with stitch regulator, used off of Craigslist, with less than 500,000 stitches on it and she threw in a bunch of rulers and books. It was basically a brand new machine and I paid less than that.

I'd keep looking if that is your budget.

Watson
Old 10-24-2019, 12:19 PM

Default Baby lock Tiara

I bought my Tiara used and haven’t used it yet. Have you found it easy to use? I read in a separate post about thread shredding. Have you experienced this issue? Thanks
Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I bought my Babylock Tiara sitdown, with stitch regulator, used off of Craigslist, with less than 500,000 stitches on it and she threw in a bunch of rulers and books. It was basically a brand new machine and I paid less than that.

I'd keep looking if that is your budget.

Watson