Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Homemade Canned Pumpkin Puree >

Homemade Canned Pumpkin Puree

Homemade Canned Pumpkin Puree

Old 10-27-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by happynana View Post
my son lives with me and he has taken over the vegetable garden for me. He is growing pumpkins now for the past couple of years. I bake mine in the ovenon low 200* for several hours (like 3 or 4) you can tell when they are done they kindof fall into themselves. and turn darker color. be sure to have them on a cookie sheet for the liquid. I puree them and freeze the ones he doesn't carve. Yummy
Sounds perfect. Not too much work! Thanks!
Old 10-28-2019, 02:59 AM

When I did the pumpkin for pies ,I baked the gutted pumpkin then put in a blender skin and all and blended it. The skin adds colour to your filling and unless you were told it was in there you wouldn't know. Saves on work also.....more time for sewing
Old 10-28-2019, 06:39 AM

My sister decided to grow pie pumpkins this year so I started looking to see how to can it. They say not to pressure can puree but leave it in chunks instead. So what we might do is bake it, then scrape the innards and freeze it. My sister still has one of my butternut squash in her basement from last year and its still good so she wants to take all her many pumpkins down there and see how long they hold up so we won't have to do much to them till we want to use them. She made a meal with a stuffed pumpkin using veggies, rice and meat baked right in the shell of the pumpkin. It was very tasty.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:42 AM

Iceblossom, good to know that pumpkins don't store well as my sister wanted to store her's down in her basement as my butternut squash is still doing great from last year's batch.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:51 AM

I just cook it, portion it out and freeze in zip lock bags just squeeze all air out
Old 10-28-2019, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Are you out of your gourd?

Just kidding. Go for it if that's what pumps your kin! (Okay, maybe should squash the attempt at humor and get back to a different kind of "patch"work.)
Hahaha made my morning!!!!
Old 10-28-2019, 07:37 AM

It is no longer considered safe to can pumpkin puree. Pumpkin should be canned in 1" chunks for consistency in cooking and only done in a pressure canner. Now I can my pumpkin, using instructions from the National Home Food Preservation website. To make my puree and remove as much water as possible I have started using my Kitchen Aide Mixer and the attachment for skins and seeding. It does the best even puree that comes out one end while pulling the water into a bowl on the other end. A perfect puree for pies. I have been canning pumpkin for years and have 7 sitting in the living room right now to take care of in the next week or so, after halloween with I can take a breath.

Here is the web page for canning pumpkin: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_04/pum...er_squash.html

Last edited by juliasb; 10-28-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Iceblossom, good to know that pumpkins don't store well as my sister wanted to store her's down in her basement as my butternut squash is still doing great from last year's batch.
It's all a balance between humidity and temperature and other stuff -- your sister might have the perfect set up. But do put down a layer of something if you do try storing a pumpkin in case it doesn't go so well!

I think though that the timing of when we eat pumpkin pies tells us something, for me it is that they are best used up before the end of the year.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:33 AM

When I want to use a pumpkin or large squash, the first thing I do is wash it and put it into the oven on a cookie sheet with sides (I use the broiler pan which I saved from my old stove.) for about 45 minutes at 350º. Then I take it out, cut it in half and scoop out the innards. (Actually, these innards are edible and are very nutritious. Put them into the blender.) The outside of the pumpkin is now partially cooked and is easy to cut.
I put the two halves cut side down onto the cookie sheet with sides with about a cup of water and bake for about 45 minutes more.
Now it is easy to scoop the flesh from the shell.
I freeze mine in measured amounts to match what I make most. Cakes and pies!
Old 10-28-2019, 01:01 PM

Daisy Luther is the Queen of Preserving in my opinion and her web site is packed full of preserving all kinds of food to save money and to be prepared in case of an emergency. I looked at her site to see what she had to say about pumpkins and I think it will more than answer your question. https://www.theorganicprepper.com/th...vest-pumpkins/