Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your thread choice for sewing? >

What's your thread choice for sewing?

What's your thread choice for sewing?

Old 10-29-2019, 10:53 AM

Default What's your thread choice for sewing?

Polyester or cotton? Other? What's your reason for using what you use? I have been sewing with whatever was handy [mostly polyester] until i started sewing the rice bags, and upon reading, everything had to be cotton so as not to self-destruct in the microwave. The cotton thread seems to behave better and not tangle in the guides, but i have also read where polyester is more durable. Would like to hear other opinions on thread! Thanks!
Old 10-29-2019, 10:56 AM

I used to use only polyester but since found that cotton is better if the fabric is cotton. Yes poly is more durable but could result in it shearing through the cotton. I use cotton on cotton fabric and poly on non cotton. Hope this helps
Old 10-29-2019, 12:06 PM

I normally use poly - unless I am making something that goes in the microwave. I used cotton years ago in a baby quilt and DD washed it in hot and my thread shrank more than the fabric (whatever happened to the old boilfast thread)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

I tend to use any cotton for piecing. My machine isn’t fussy about FMQ so I use all of it - cotton, trilobal polyester like isacord and I recently used superior threads monopoly and that worked fine too
Old 10-29-2019, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I use whatever I have they all work great. Polyester thread will not cut the fabrics.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

I use cotton more simply because I have more of it. I will use whatever I have. My machines aren't fussy. However, I don't make anything that goes in the microwave. I think you need all cotton for that?
Old 10-29-2019, 05:10 PM

Are we talking about hand sewing? Machine sewing? Piecing vs quilting?

I prefer a 60 to 100 wt for machine piecing. I do a lot of miniature and/or precision piecing, and I find that a strong, fine polyester thread gives me more accurate pieces. When your patches are only a quarter of an inch big, fine thread does make a difference.

For quilting, I prefer a 40 wt poly. Cotton gives off a lot of lint, and I've had the experience of a small piece of cotton shred or lint getting stuck somewhere in the thread path of my longarm and throwing the tension off.

Poly cutting through cotton is an old wives' tale and has been debunked.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:04 PM

I usually sew with good old Coats & Clark because it fairly fine and non-linty. Definitely when sewing down binding as it doesn' shred or twist like many cottons do. In the long arm I prefer polys, like SoFine #50 or even a finer thread. the poly and invisible threads like MonoPoly aren't like the old "fishing line" ones and don't rip the weave of cottons.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

The old belief of poly thread cutting through fabric will never go away. It's the same as thinking the Amish deliberately making a mistake in their work as only God can be perfect. They do not do that. I use 100% Egyptian cotton thread and poly thread, whichever I pick up first.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:14 AM

I like to use cotton thread when I'm quilting because I use the iron at the highest heat setting. If I'm making clothes or home dec items I might dip into my Coats and Clark general sewing thread collection to see if I have the color I want.