Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Frame >

Hand Quilting Frame

Hand Quilting Frame

Old 10-30-2019, 02:42 AM

Default Hand Quilting Frame

I am considering the acquisition of a hand quilting frame such that I can sit and hand quilt comfortably while we watch tv at night.

I know the Grace 3-Z44 was a highly regarded frame, but it is out of production.

Would appreciate advice on what to look for in a frame.

Kindest Regards,
Janet
Old 10-30-2019, 03:01 AM

I just use a wood oval frame - I have a large one and a smaller one for wall quilts. I can sit back in a comfy chair and relax while quilting.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:15 AM

I don't use a frame either. I usually just use a hoop in my lap so I can sit back in my chair or wiggle around as needed to be comfortable. I've always thought frames would be (for me) very uncomfortable to use as you (I think) sit in the same position the entire time you are quilting.

The hoop I use is just a cheapie from JoAnn's. Works just fine for my use. And if/when it breaks after several years of use it doesn't break the bank to replace.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:33 AM

Ditto for me..love my round wood hoop...it's abt 22/24 inches round and I like to sit in my recliner, cross my legs, rest one side of the hoop on the arm rest, and I can quilt for hours & watch tv at the same time. I don't believe I would enjoy nor last very long if I had to sit in a straight chair in front of a floor frame.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:36 AM

I also use a round or oval frame in my lap. I had one on a stand, but you couldn't get it close enough to be comfortavle. I was always leaning over and it hurt my back. I also had a longarm frame which I had the same problem plus it was high and you had to bend over one of the rollers. Try Craigslist. I have seem many on there In fact that is how I got rid of both of mine.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:43 AM

I use a Frank A Edmunds 14" round hoop. I quilt with the hoop in my lap. I’ve tried quilting stands but I couldn’t get the hang of them. My hoop is sturdy, non-bendable, and lightweight. The quilt doesn’t slip when the hoop is tightened. In the 30+ years I’ve been hand quilting, I’ve only had two of these hoops. And I quilt a lot.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:46 PM

I use a Morgan 14/10 inch lap stand, works great for me. It keeps the quilt off my lap and is at a comfortable height. You can order them from a few different places.

http://www.nosliphoops.com/lap-stands.html