Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm machine??? >

long arm machine???

long arm machine???

Old 11-05-2019, 03:51 AM

Default long arm machine???

I have an opportunity that only comes around once in a lifetime, at least for me.
I have wanted a long arm for a very long time. I currently have a mid arm with throat space of
9". I am looking for at least a 20" throat space. I would like it to have a computer to do patterns consistently.

I have many quilt tops to quilt for myself and would like to do some for friends. Not a full time business.

I am wondering about new vs. used?

And brands? Does anyone know anything about the King Quilters that a certain company sells?
Handi-quilter or other brands??
I have a budget that I would like to stay within, and would prefer not to spend $20K.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:25 AM

When choosing a Longarm with computer, one needs to thoroughly investigate both before purchasing. Additionally, what works for one, might not work for another.

Quilt shows are a good place to try many different brands. However, most computer system upgrades start at $10K, which would limit your machine and table combo to $10K to stay within your budget. Handi Quilter has an 18” option with Computer that would keep you within your budget, if you must go new.

If it were me, I’d look for a used Gammill Statler. The software is a free download (but can’t be used to stitch out) from Gammill’s website, as is the manual. You can download both to your Windows based computer and work your way thru the manual to learn how to use it while waiting for a used one within your budget. I ordered mine new, downloaded the manual and software while I waited for the machine to arrive (two months) and by the time it arrived, basically only had to apply the knowledge gleaned from my study and research. It’s extremely intuitive and both the machine and table are solidly built,
Old 11-05-2019, 04:37 AM

Buy a used machine from a dealer (trade in). Get the full service and set up warranty.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely buy from a dealer who offers free New Owners Classes , service and warranty.
ive had HandiQuilter for 15 years- upgraded my first one to an Avante a couple years ago. I do not have a computer system. Customer service from HandiQuilter has been wonderful over the years- along with service from my local dealer. I know they have special classes for the people with the computer system.
That being said- a long arm is a big investment. It is best to visit as many shows- dealers as possible and try out the different machines- just like buying a car; not everyone likes the same one. Take the time to try them out- find what is going to be best for you.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:53 AM

I think that if you have a decent budget do look for used if at all possible.

https://www.longarmuniversity.com/Ma...rSale.html#M4S

Or demo machines

https://www.mkquilts.com/used-machines.html
Old 11-05-2019, 04:53 AM
anonymous

Used is great. I am partial to Innova. Accomplish Quilting is my dealer and they do a robust used machine business. With Innova you can always upgrade your machine as you decide what you need or want after using it. It gives the budget a chance to recover, lol. If I had to choose between digital designs and lightning stitch, I'd choose lightning stitch for sure. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:50 AM
mkc

The best bang-for-the-buck for personal use is to find a used machine from a reputable dealer close to you that offers training and service.

And every longarm and quilter are different - don't buy based on what you read on the Internet. Go and try as many as you can to get a feel for which are comfortable for you, which you can operated and feel relaxed, and which are intimidating and cause you to struggle. Try different size throats, too. Smaller-framed folks might not have the reach to comfortably use a deeper machine. Listen to the machines - they are louder than a home machine. Each brand sounds different, too.

It's just like buying a car. You need to research to find what fits you and your needs best by doing test drives, not by picking something solely based off price, and the dealer-relationship is a key part of this.

"Avoid future regret".
Old 11-05-2019, 07:01 AM

Sewing expos are a great place to try out new machines and also to meet people that sell machines.

Each of us is different, we think differently, we are shaped differently. and we quilt in different styles too! I'm 5'7" but I have a long torso and relatively short arms/legs. My friend who owned a long arm is 5'10" and more normally shaped. I had to stand on my tiptoes to use her frame, and I can't really reach more than a 12" pattern depth even if the frame was lower.

For me, I would definitely want the computerized options and I need a stitch regulator. But the real issue is that I just don't have the space to dedicate to the machine. They don't come up all the time but several times in the last few years I've seen some really wonderful systems sold by people on Craig's List down-sizing in the 3-5k range, including the frame, the machine, and the computer.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Your location says you are in upstate NY but that covers a lot of territory. Not sure if this is doable for you but I highly recommend you take some classes and go to a big expo. The MQX in Manchester NH is coming up in April. It is the largest machine quilting show in the northeast and all the LA vendors will be there. The class registration just opened up this week so you may be able to get in a hands on longarming intro class that has robotics to ensure you really want to move forward. The vendors have demos both computerized and non that you can play with. Don't rush into anything. Most people research for about a year before taking the plunge. Even if you are looking to get preowned there is a wealth of info at these shows. https://www.mqxshow.com/home/
Old 11-05-2019, 08:54 AM

Echoing what has been said. Try as many machines as you can. An Expo is a great place to do this. If you live far from where quilting Expos are held, think of the trip to one, as your research and part of the purchase cost of the machine. As Iceblossom said the machine has to fit your body.

I went to Sew Expo in Puyallup in 2015 and tried all the different brands of machines. My long range plan was to buy a new machine in 2020, but I found a used HQ16 locally 5 months later and purchased it. I may or may not upgrade it at some point in the future, I have not yet "outgrown" the machine.

Having some sort of local service available is really important to me. I am lucky that there are two HQ dealers each an hour away from where I live. One has had an incredible quilter come do lessons for a weekend. They were fantastic.

Have you have the opportunity to try out a friends machine or rent time on a LA? I did not before I took the plunge, looking back it would have been a good idea, and I would have if I had not had the opportunity to buy the used machine.

If you are being offered the cash now, see if you can put it into a Money Market fund, T-Bill or other safe investment while you take the time to make your decision.

Oh, if I upgrade I likely will buy used again. I am quite happy for someone else to take the bit hit on depreciation in the first couple years.

Lastly, keep in mind that you can take lessons on any brand of machine. You will need software specific lessons, but in general ruler work is ruler work no matter the brand of machine.