Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Crosshatch a Background on an Appliqued Block >

How to Crosshatch a Background on an Appliqued Block

How to Crosshatch a Background on an Appliqued Block

Old 11-06-2019, 10:28 AM

Default How to Crosshatch a Background on an Appliqued Block

My quilt has an appliqued center block of "heart" flowers, vines and daisies. I thought having a diagonal crosshatch design in the background would appear like the applique was on a "trellis". But I've never done crosshatching before especially with so many "items" in the way of the diagonal line. Is there a trick to doing this? My guess is that I will need to secure the thread, "jump" over the applique piece, secure the thread, etc....right? Any advice will be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:27 AM

I was just thinking about this and I think next time I will cross hatch the whole piece before I do the applique.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Use 1" masking tape across your block diagonally . Or use one of those slotted rulers with the 1" thing for cutting 1" strips. Use a wash away blue marking pen. Clover makes a good one. You can but it anywhere . When you have your block centered, quilt around your heart, vines and daisies. So you secure the center. Then quilt down one of your marked lines to the edge of the block. You can slide your needle the o
1" to the next line and quilt back. You don't jump over your applique . You secure around it then go back and forth, again around it. Hope this makes sense. I love cross hatching. I usually quilt around the outer edges of the block.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

You can tie off as you describe or you can also use the ditch around the applique to travel.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:26 PM

Since I did the exact same thing you just did, I always made sure to do the cross hatching before I applique'd! It saves so much time and hassle.

But, the first time I did it (just like you!) I FMQ'd a "border" around the applique and then followed that for my cross stitching, that way I didn't have to stop / start all the time.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:22 PM

I used a chalk marker and marked an x across the block..then I sewed one line and used my foot as the guide for the edge of the next line, all across the block. When I got to the applique, I backstitched, lifted my foot, then advanced to the other side of the applique, backstitched again and continued. I cut all of the threads after, it was just faster than stopping every time for me.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:41 AM

Ahhh… I've been wondering how to quilt an appliqued quilt top. There is a pattern that combines cotton quilting material topped with wool applique that I want to make. Quilt complete top and then applique. Problem solved. Thanks ladies!!
Old 11-08-2019, 07:33 AM

I haven't tried this but the first thing that came to mind it the water soluble stabilizer to put over it before you start stitching. I would think it would stitch up smoother and not mess with the embroidery. But I haven't done this and it was just what jumped into my brain after reading your post.
Lynda