Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Older model Gammill >

Older model Gammill

Older model Gammill

Old 11-08-2019, 04:23 PM

Default Older model Gammill

I have an opportunity to buy an older model (97 or 98) Gammill Classic 26 for $4000. It does not have a stitch regulator, and computerized programs cannot be added to it. I’m very new to quilting. I would appreciate advice from those of you with more experience. Space is not a problem. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2019, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by StephanieMinch View Post
I have an opportunity to buy an older model (97 or 98) Gammill Classic 26 for $4000. It does not have a stitch regulator, and computerized programs cannot be added to it. I’m very new to quilting. I would appreciate advice from those of you with more experience. Space is not a problem. Thank you!
Are you close to a Gammill dealership where they work on them? Or at least close enough you could take it in so they could go over it and give it a check up?
If you don't take it, please private message me the contact info for whoever is selling it. It definitely sounds like a deal to me.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:04 PM

I have a 2006 Classic Plus that I bought 6 years ago. It has a 14' frame. I paid little over double that for the machine, all the pantos, 3 footlockers of thread, rulers, stencils, replacement parts (over 100 bobbins and 5 bobbin cases), all her books on LA quilting, a roll of bat. If all you are getting is the machine and frame, then I think that price is a bit high. If you are getting all supplies, etc in addition, then it's not bad.
Not having a stitch regulator would be a no sale for me.
Also, have you ever tried out or taken lessons on a long arm? It is a very different process and sometimes people don't like it. (although I love it!)
Old 11-08-2019, 07:31 PM

Ramblings....

I have an old 30 inch all mechanical Gammill, a PDQ-30 named Quiltosaurus, older than the one you're considering. It's not as easy to quilt with as one with a slow speed and a stitch regulator, but I still enjoy the process. I don't know if $4000 is a good buy for the Classic or not considering that I paid $3000 in 1998 for mine, LOL. But these machines are built to outlast we humans, with very generic sewing parts and motors that can be replaced with parts from Zoro Tool, so it may make sense that their price point can stabilize at $3-4000. An all-mechanical or mostly-mechanical Gammill will certainly get the job done. Whether or not it's worth $4000 to you, even if it may be worth $4000 in general is the question. If possible, I'd see if you can go work with it some and if it's something you can enjoy. At that price point, you may be able to find something you like better that is a little newer. Just a thought.

Nolting (which made my Gammill and may have made the Classic too) has used Gammills in stock from time to time and may at times be a place to check for price points. https://www.nolting.com/history.php. Also Longarm University has a classified page that lists people's offering prices. Most of the Classics listed on Longarm University have Statler Stitchers which makes them pricey, but judging by the asking prices for the basic ones, your deal might be very good. Of course, offering a price doesn't mean someone will pay that price....anyway https://longarmuniversity.com/MachinesForSale.html#M4S.

I absolutely hated Quiltosaurus when I first got her, tried her for awhile and then let her sit . This was before the internet had great resources for asking questions or understanding things like tension. One day I oiled her up, loaded up the quilt and brought a level of patience with me that I hadn't brought before and she and I got along fabulously. Her stitches are gorgeous and I pretty much can use any thread as long as I have the right needles, etc etc. She doesn't have a ruler foot and no stitch regulator, but I can finish quilts, and that is amazing. And she me to come with patience and my success or failure with her depends on my mood, something that is also amazing, really. She makes me calm down because I have to or I won't have good success with her, so she's sort of therapeutic. I'm so happy I have her and wouldn't part with her. We're bonded ;-). But would I buy her now if I had the chance at other machines with newer tech? Um, (don't tell her, but) chances are I wouldn't unless it was a screaming deal (meaning less than $3000) and I had more space for her than I do now.

Anyway there's my input

Another point, if the Gammill is the mostly mechanical version that I think you're talking about, any tech who knows industrial machines at all could look at it. Those machines are very basic, like a giant featherweight, really. You just need to take it off the table, something that isn't hard at all with the assistance of a friend so you can take it in.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-09-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-08-2019, 08:11 PM

If you get the serial number of the machine from the seller, call Gammill because with that number they can give you the history of the machine (identity of all previous owners) and tell you the fair market value of that particular machine.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:02 AM

Are you planning on finishing just your own quilts? How detailed do you want your work to be? Do you want to spend time on a learning curve.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Not having a stitch regulator would be a no sale for me. Yes, this!

I think $4000 is a lot. I would consider a newer, as in younger but still used, machine with a smaller throat opening (22 inches) but with a stitch regulator. Is it possible to wait and save up so you can get a better machine? It might be hard to sell this machine again when you are ready to up grade. I waited and bought the machine that I really wanted.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:36 AM

Thanks, everyone! I have decided to wait and find a newer machine with the stitch regulator, and the ability to add the computer program to it.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:44 AM

I’m a Gammill Statler owner and love mine to pieces. Ordinarily, I can’t recommend these machines highly enough. However, without the ability to upgrade it (contact Gammill to confirm this is accurate information) I think I’d continue looking for a newer model.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:48 PM

I think that price is a bit high considering the age of the machine, and that it can not be upgraded. It is a solid machine that should last a lifetime...but even so I'd keep looking.