Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
How to Bind a Quilt by Machine >

How to Bind a Quilt by Machine

How to Bind a Quilt by Machine

Old 11-10-2019, 06:17 PM

My friend showed me the greatest way to machine bind. Sew binding on the back as usual. She then brings her binding to the front and uses fusible thread to iron the front side down and uses the serpentine stitch on her machine to sew it down. The fusible thread keeps everything from moving. She does this on all her donation quilts and says it saves her lots of frustration.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:46 PM

“not sure about the yarn”
It is the cotton yarn that you use to make dishcloths. Can be bought at Walmart, hobby lobby, etc. I buy it by the cone and just set it on the floor in front of me while I’m couching it to the middle of the binding.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I have the worst time machine binding both sides. It never comes out right and I end up taking one side out. Thanks for the links.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by twhvlr View Post
I use this nifty way to do my binding by machine.
http://valleymqg.org/wp-content/uplo...lt-binding.pdf
This is the way I do mine. I stitch in the ditch from the front after I have folded the binding to the back. It took a while to be able to do it without pinning, but now I can do that except for the corners. I need one pin to hold that miter in place.

Before you do this, you need to iron the binding open from the front side so that the ditch is well defined. My friend told us that if you don't get finished today, you need to re-iron that binding open when you get back to it.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Researching feet for my new Janome I came across a machine quilt binding foot. This is the Janome one, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a generic high shank system that is similar. It may not help this time, but a foot might be something to look into if you find yourself needing to machine bind quilts very often. Of course, whether or not you can find a system that your machine supports is always a question.

https://www.janome.com/en/blog/new-v...lt-binder-set/