Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do? >

What to do?

What to do?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by karielt
Originally Posted by Elaine Hewes
I want to make a memory quilt using my late husband's clothes, but my daughter doesn't want me to. She just to throw them away. I think she trying to forget about her father completely. I also need to know what is the best pattern to use in making the memory quilt. Thank you all in advance!
When my father passed away I took a couple of shirts and all or his bandanas I made him to cover his trake. Made this memory quilt.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28544-1.htm
Wow, that is one neat memory quilt!

Your daughter is having a tough time handling her own grief. It is she who can't bear to see her dad's shirts cut up and put into a quilt. Choose the pieces you want to keep (and don't let anyone talk you into letting them go). Perhaps you could use a few items that belonged to him. She'll soon become comfortable with the idea. Then you can take the shirts out and make a nice quilt for both of you to enjoy. If she doesn't bend, do it anyway. It seems she will come around, since she suggested the two wall hangings.

This is really not the same thing, but when my dad passed away we were given so many beautiful cards, memorials, and letters. We couldn't bear throwing them away. So I purchased nice albums and organized everything. It really freaked out one of my sisters (the youngest). If I was working on the albums when she arrived to visit, she'd shudder and tell me how morbid it was. I didn't think it was that at all. I loved reading the sentiments of all of our and his friends and relatives. She has never looked at the albums. It was a wonderful healing experience for me and my mom.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM

I am glad she came around. I am in the process of making 5 memory quilts. My dad passed away last summer and I am making one for my mom, myself and 3 brothers. It's nothing fancy. It has 8 inch squares of different fabrics. It's 5 squares wide and 7 squares down. I am putting a denim border from his jeans around the edge and then I will back it with flannel.

I have never made a quilt before but I have sewing expierence. It's may not be the most spectacular or perfect quilt that has been made but the reasoning behind it will make it perfect to us.

I am hoping to have then done by next weekend. My dad's birthday would've been March 9th. If they are ready, I will give them to everyone them. No one except 1 sister in law knows I am even making them. It's going to be a surprise.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

I am sorry for everyone's loses and I would also make myself at least a lap size quilt besides the 2 wall hangings. I am sorry your Husband passed on. If you remember him alive he will never be dead.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Google Goddess

Deepest Sympathy! Please make the quilt as it will help you to recover!

Please take care of yourself.

Karen