Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel Quilt Idea >

Flannel Quilt Idea

Flannel Quilt Idea

Old 11-17-2019, 03:54 PM

Default Flannel Quilt Idea

I'm planning a flannel quilt, and have been reading about the stretch and shrinkage that might occur, I really don't want to prewash it (love all the intense colors) and starching it is also not my desired method. So.......What if.......

1. I backed the quilt with regular cotton. Would that stablize things, or just create more problems?
2. If I have a border, and add an internal border (2" wide) would that help the quilt to keep its shape?
3. If I quilt it really good (not too tight, but tighter than usual) will that keep things plumb, or should I just plan on a wonky shaped quilt (over time) if it is ever washed?

Sure would appreciate your input and experiences.

Alice
Old 11-17-2019, 04:06 PM

The modern flannel prints seem to stay nice and bright and the fuzzy often gets even better after washing.

I'm such a stickler on prewashing I just can't not prewash but I don't use starch, we all have our way of doing things. I recently backed a donation quilt all cotton top with flannel for the first time in a long time, I did wash everything first and again after quilting with no issues. Still not my favorite to work with but it makes a nice cuddle.

So my advise is to always prewash. It's going to get washed sometime so better that all the give and take happens before it made into something else. Also I generally figure that if anything does go wrong, I'd rather it happen on my watch.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:17 PM

I only buy LQS flannel that doesn't fade or pill, but it does shrink quite a bit and it leaves a huge amount of dust in the lint trap in my dryer. I wouldn't make anything out of flannel without washing it.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:22 PM

I am not sure what you have been reading, but I have never had trouble with flannel. Or maybe I am just not as particular as some others??

I am currently working a quilt that will have a completely flannel top and will have a cotton backing. I have a 5" outer border, but no inner border.

I did not prewash any of the fabric - but I purchased quality fabric. I think some fabric is not as high of quality as others???

I sure am not of much help for you, I have never seen the problems that you are talking about.

I sure am going to pay attention to this quilt that I am working on now Will be interesting to see how things end up as I watch for those things that you have pointed out
Old 11-17-2019, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I am also a pre washer but even if I wasn't I would certainly wash and machine dry flannel before using it. Shrinking also helps tighten the weave so you don't have as much fraying which can be a common problem with flannel. Why put all the work and cost into making it only to have seams pop due to fraying or shrinkage when you can avoid this possibility by taking a few extra steps. I have successfully made many flannel quilts without starching. And this one had a lot of piecing that most wouldn't even attempt with flannel.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619833[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas wishes back 2.JPG
Views:	1129
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	619833  
Old 11-17-2019, 06:21 PM

Iceblossom, Do you prewash with only cold water and no soap. What is your method of prewashing? Thanks for your response.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Thanks meyert for your response. It was helpful to me as I have purchased what I think is top quality flannel. My courage to get started is growing.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:29 PM

feline fanatic, Thanks for your response. Your quilt is awesome! All the colors here look vibrant and sharp, and the shape is good too. Did you use soap when washing? Also, when drying the fabric, did you take it out of the dryer while it was still wet.....damp....or dry?
Old 11-17-2019, 08:15 PM

I was mine in cold water on gentle with detergent but usually a bit less than a regular load. I dry it on medium until fully dry. If you pull it out right away, you can fold it until you're ready to use it and it shouldn't need too much in the way of ironing. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:01 PM

Lovely quilt! You're right - I would never attempt that in flannel. Bravo!