Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it the cruise control? >

Is it the cruise control?

Is it the cruise control?

Old 11-18-2019, 04:56 AM

This board is so awesome--advice and help is always given promptly. I appreciate so much the suggestions-especially the detailed 'road map' Feline has provided. Waiting for daylight to check all the possibilities. My frame is the "portable"? that sits on a long table, and yes, I have noticed it is not level when the trolley escapes me when replacing bobbin or threading needles. I didn't realize it could be so critical, so I will start there. Also, my son delivered and set up the frame for me, after hauling in pick-up truck for approx 75 miles (I was lucky it arrived still assembled!) I've nevere owned a big frame before, and of course, never a stitch regulator. So this phase of my quilting is a learning experience, but it really lets me accomplish my charity quilts faster. I also bought 4 big moving cartons of fabrics, out of 17 boxes! So it is imperative I get my problem solved to continue making chemo and nursing home donations. I cannot thank you all enough for your detailed responses. Bless you all!!!

Last edited by mermaid; 11-18-2019 at 04:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2019, 05:03 AM

I'm so happy that this thread came up. My Janome on a Grace II frame was doing the same thing this weekend. Drove me crazy with all the places I have to go back in and fix with thread tacking by hand.... it's a quilt for our living room so it doesn't have to be perfect. Now I know what to go back and look at and try cleaning to correct the problem. Like mermaid, I had changed bobbins, needles, several times....never once thought of the encoders. Thank you thank you thank you!
Old 11-18-2019, 04:04 PM

I believe it's definitely your cruise control. I have been having the same problem (Nolting). Mine is very old but Mike with Nolting is making in a house call on Friday. Possibility Cruise Control cannot be repaired because of age and I will have to upgrade. I quilt comfort quilts and a lot of them, but don't want to spend $2000.00 for upgrade.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:30 PM

Just had my Nolting with Cruise Control serviced in house. The cord that goes from the machine to the encoders was bad. It caused the same bad stitches I see in your post. Mike with Memory Lane Quilting also replaced the encoders. The first generation Cruise Control regulators are nearing the end of their lifespan I fear. When this fix ends, I plan to upgrade.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by gigigray032447 View Post
Just had my Nolting with Cruise Control serviced in house. The cord that goes from the machine to the encoders was bad. It caused the same bad stitches I see in your post. Mike with Memory Lane Quilting also replaced the encoders. The first generation Cruise Control regulators are nearing the end of their lifespan I fear. When this fix ends, I plan to upgrade.
igi...I am so very happy for you, that your QCC is back in service. I've tried everything the 'support' people have suggested and ordered new "O" rings. When they arrive, will see if that helps. I have no idea what generation my unit is, as I bought it from a friend's estate last Fall. The wiring to the encoders looks okay, but what do I know? I made a miracle a few wks ago when I replaced 'innards' in a toilet tank, but elect scares me a bit. Unfortunately, there are no house calls her, nor any repair persons other than a couple of guys that service vintage machines. But I have other problems that are more urgent right now--taking care of an ill husband.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

This can happen if your foot is set too high above the fabric. Make sure, when the pressure foot is down, that the foot rests just on it, not above. Sometimes the foot gets set higher for thicker quilts, but needs to be adjusted down or up for each project.