Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spoiled quilter. >

Spoiled quilter.

Spoiled quilter.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

​You are not spoiled, you just have your priorities straight.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I've never been interested in owning a longarm although they are fabulous. I don't know why. But since I'm still trying to FMQ successfully i bought a nice machine for it.
I send quilts out that I can't handle. So I do love longarms. I just don't have a desire for one.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I hate debt and DH loathes paying interest and will go without before paying it. Everything we buy is paid off in 30 days. Our first house took 10 years to pay off and DH was beside himself to get it paid for. Debt is the big four letter word in our house. LOL
Sounds just like my attitude towards debt and interest. Although we did not pay our house off as quickly as you (took 15 years). When we signed the mortgage I couldn't sleep well for about a week. I am frugal to the point of being a cheapskate. We only eat out a couple times a year and that is usually for a special occasion or if we are travelling. I always bring my lunch to work and will only eat lunch out maybe 3 times a year. I wear my clothes and shoes until they are worn out. I hang on to my cars until they start costing more to keep than to trade in and buy a new one.
But I am also thrifty with my quilting purchases. I don't go on quilty shopping trips very often. I set a budget when I do go on a FART (Fabric Acquisition Retail Therapy) and also when I go to a show and will only spend that much and often don't even spend that. But because it is so rare (I may go two years without attending a show or going on a shopping trip), I save up and my budget is usually $300 to $500. If I don't spend it bam back into savings it goes.

When I started my search for a LA I saved to pay cash for it and once I had that, I was able to purchase a dealer demo so saved on that. I have one sewing machine that I bought at least 15 or 16 years ago and have money in savings if it dies I can replace it. I do still have my first sewing machine as a backup but it hasn't been turned on in over 10 years. I don't buy kits but I have purchased the occasional specialty ruler. Some I have yet to try out but fully intend to. (Like my 10 degree wedge, my Quick Curve Ruler and a couple of Deb Tucker ones I got on close out so got half price). I don't think I have ever been accused of being spoiled on a quilty shopping trip.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-21-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I've never been interested in owning a longarm although they are fabulous. I don't know why. But since I'm still trying to FMQ successfully i bought a nice machine for it.
I send quilts out that I can't handle. So I do love longarms. I just don't have a desire for one.
Oh, I desire a computer driven long arm with a burning desire! I'd take one without a computer too, it's what I used before but I do need a stitch regulator. The quilting design part is still a stumbling point because I just don't think in those design terms, but my proficiency was ok and I loved the speed of work, a small quilt was a fun thing to do instead of something that required an audible groan and internal fortitude I currently have right around 20 completed tops that aren't quilts yet.

In my lottery dreams, I have a professional level Statler and I call her Elvira...

But hubby and I also live on a cash economy. Took us awhile for us to realize that we just aren't good with temptations of credit and we are better off this way but man, it can be hard to deal with a bunch of things at one time.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:48 AM

I think I fall into the category of a spoiled quilter...but I rarely purchase fabrics or gadgets on impulse, I usually have a project in mind. Therefore, I have a modest stash and notions that I use frequently but I do feel blessed to have nice machines and a beautiful sewing space to work.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:02 AM

Back when Hubby and I were both working, I feathered my nest. If I saw it and wanted it, I bought it. So now that we're on a fixed income, I have a decent stash, quilt kits, rulers, thread, stabilizers, scissors, cutting mats, needles in bulk, rotary blades......you get the picture. I may need the occasional yardage for a binding, but by and large I just don't really need anything. But I remember all those days shopping and going for what I wanted....now I'm so glad I planned it this way.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:27 AM

I’m definitely a spoiled quilter. But it’s coming after many years of having to scrimp and make do. So I feel very blessed. I’m also not into fancy clothes and don’t wear jewelry. But I will spend a couple hundred dollars on a purse. They can last forever.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:08 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Another spoiled quilter here, but also another debt avoider. Our credit card is paid off automatically each month. We have not had a mortgage in over 30 years. We pay cash for cars. I have my stash will last longer than I do. But there are still occasions when purchases are required. The only “big” clothing items for me are shoes, because I have narrow feet and can’t buy most shoes. I worked 35 years to enjoy retirement—and I am going to!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Definitely a spoiled quilter. I am like you in that I am content with simple clothes, makeup and accessories. I'll drop $100 at a Quilt Store and purchase $6.00 t shirts at Walmart. The benefits of not having to purchase work clothes and a luxury that church is come as you are now.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:29 AM

I quit smoking years ago, Cha Ching, I do Keto and eat one meal a day so my grocery bills are very tiny. I’m not a new clothes shopper, but since losing 40lbs I had to go buy new clothes, I’m tall so tall clothes are more expensive and I started a new part time job so I had buy some work clothes. This is the first time in over a decade that I bought new clothes. I’m cleaning out my stash of a bazillion fat quarters, jelly rolls, and other precuts and selling them so I can buy Batiks since I prefer to work with them vs regular quilting cottons. It’s just me so I do as I please.........