Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello From Texas >

Hello From Texas

Hello From Texas

Old 11-25-2019, 12:07 AM

Default Hello From Texas

Hello. I am new to the forum. I am new to sewing. I am going to attempt to make a quilt for my sister. We lost our mother unexpectedly and I am going to try to quilt with her clothes and some other fabrics. Hello everyone and wish me luck.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Pick a simple pattern like 4 patch or 9 patch to build your confidence. Working with fabrics that are not cotton can be challenging.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 11-25-2019, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan! Best of luck on your quilt! Sorry for the loss of your Mother.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:04 AM

Welcome from SE Michigan to the QB! Let the creative juices roll on this new quilt you are planning as your first quilt. I am assured you will do very well. Jump right in all questions are welcome and you will find so many people available to help you out. Happy quilting!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:17 AM

Welcome to the board from another Texan. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I think that making a quilt from her clothes will provide some healing & good memories. This board is very, very helpful so if you run into problems or have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Learn to take pictures & post them here also. Sometimes it is easier to answer a question if we can visually "see" the thing that you are working on. I don't think you will regret making this first quilt & will cherish it for a lifetime.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:17 AM

Welcome from Southern Indiana! If you can sew a straight line, you can make a quilt. It may not be perfect, but don't let the quilt police near it. I'm sure it won't be your last one. Be sure to post pictures...we love them!
Old 11-25-2019, 01:57 PM

Hello and I'm so sorry about your mother. Many people come to quilting with such a project, some find a new hobby and others are one and done.

Lots of things can come up in such a project, some are sewing related and some not -- but we are here for you, whatever your joys or sorrows may be.

We all start some time and a first quilt is very special, especially one like this so if you could keep us up to date and maybe even a picture when you are done, we love pictures! It took me months before I figured out all the inter-relationships between my obscure browser super locked down with virus protectors and my old school digital camera... I think it is easier with a phone! FAQ section has some great help for most people,
https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/
Old 11-28-2019, 02:41 PM

Hello from Colorado. Sorry for your loss, what a wonderful idea for a quilt. QB everyone is helpful and so encouraging.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:48 PM

Welcome from Alberta, Canada. My condolences on the loss of your mom. I hope your project brings you peace.