Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Pounce >

Quilt Pounce

Quilt Pounce

Old 02-27-2010, 07:31 AM

I use the pounce for large areas that seem to take forever if used marker. But I only pounce one block or one side of the border at a time as the chalk doesn't seem to stick around for longer time periods. I like it because it is quicker than using a marking pen.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 AM

I agree with you lady quilter. Different marking tools are appropriate for different situations. it's not a "one size fits all" deal. I do think for large borders, and for overall designs the pounce works great. If you have to figure out a layout on a border, i find it is much easier to use the pounce and steam off your layout mistakes than it is to wipe off the blue washout and get the border dry enough to remark.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:40 PM

I have a pounce and I love it. For those of you having problems here are a couple of suggestions.

1. Once filled, hit a few times on your hand to get the chalk to go through the fibers.
2. If it doesn't seem to want to come through, take your nails and comb through the fibers on the pad.
3. Just rub softly across template and a fine imprint will appear.
( You don't actually pounce ) Irons off easily when your done quilting.

Hope this helps...........
Old 02-27-2010, 06:27 PM

Do any of you use water color pencils? I have had good success with these. Silver and white for dark fabrics, a light blue for lights. Test and see if you think this works for you.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Hmmm watercolor pencils..that's new twist..how do you remove the markings?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:04 PM

Water color pencils are water soluble. So I wash the quilt.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM

I use the thin gold quilting paper and trace/adjust the quilting pattern to fit my quilt, onto the roll of paper. Then I use a large sewing machine needle(with NO thread) to go over the pattern, THEN pin the paper to the quilt, and gently rub the Pounce over the patter. This works for me... and I LIKE it. Cornstarch can be used for refill, if you run out of the chalk.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by daesy3
I use the thin gold quilting paper and trace/adjust the quilting pattern to fit my quilt, onto the roll of paper. Then I use a large sewing machine needle(with NO thread) to go over the pattern, THEN pin the paper to the quilt, and gently rub the Pounce over the patter. This works for me... and I LIKE it. Cornstarch can be used for refill, if you run out of the chalk.
I sometimes do the same thing only using tissue paper (used for wrapping gifts). Didn't think about using cornstarch though, thanks!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 PM

Or Cinnamon

Originally Posted by azam
Originally Posted by daesy3
I sometimes do the same thing only using tissue paper (used for wrapping gifts). Didn't think about using cornstarch though, thanks!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM

I have a Bernina and they told me not to use the ponce--if you are using the stitch regulater. It clogs up the sensors.